Racing Starts

What starting technique do you use in lasers?

• Starboard Tack Start

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Port tack reach along line and tack into gap

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Port start at pin

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Technique changes every race

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

will162878

How do you guys start a race? Starboard tack with everyone else? Port tack reach than tack into a gap? Port tack start at the pin-end? Does it depend on the bias? No idea?

I would like to gauge the popularity of various starting techniques and if you can add comments on their various merits, disadvantages, benefits, effectiveness, consistency etc etc.

==================

My initial comment has to be that I reach along the line on port until near the start, when I tack and head up to the line in a gap that I have found. I find this quick, reliable, versatile and easy to execute really good starts but I would like to hear about other, if not better, ideas people have.

there are so many ways to start depending on wind direction/strength, shifts, the favored side of the course/line that you really cannot have one starting stragegy and still be competitive

not if the line is crowded or someone comes across on starbord and nails you. also, if you duck sterns to find clear air, you'll probably end up in the second row.

I use the port tack approach when I want to get to one side of a certain boat or group of boats. By using rules to your advantage, and some basic match racing techniques, it is possible to move other boats around the line from a port tack approach.

ummmmm i think i stop about 2-3 boat lenghts from the line 1 min bofore the start and slowly creap up to the line. then in the last 5 sec sheet in and bear away slightly to get up to speed. usally works in most races.

I probably use the port-tack approach the most, too; mostly because I'm not all that good at hovering in one spot on the line and I find if I set up too soon on the line somebody else will come into my hole at 10 seconds to go and then I'm stuck. The thing I like about port-tack approach is being able to see what the other boats are doing at the last few tens of seconds before the start, and you are in a good position to take advantage of opportunities that arise (like people drifting down the line when it's windy so suddenly there's room at the committee end). I've noticed that the best sailors (here at least) usually claim a spot on the line with a hole to bear off into on starboard, then they go. There has to be some advantage to that approach once you've mastered slow-speed maneuvering; probably that you can control exactly where you want to be on the line.

will162878 said:
I use the port tack approach when I want to get to one side of a certain boat or group of boats. By using rules to your advantage, and some basic match racing techniques, it is possible to move other boats around the line from a port tack approach.

Doesn't it depend on the standard of your fleet? In championships in a good fleet, the front row seems to be full of boats from 1 minute before the gun, at least.

What are the rules and "basic match racing techniques" you're using?

my style changes every race, my favorite thing to do is when the whole fleet parks on the line at 1min and then they drift down and then at like 20 you just fly in and take that perfect spot at the comittie wth full speed.

but the main thing to do on the line is to be agressive and defend your hole to leward

Back