Racing Compass - Attachment Point/Legality

Plan on using the T061 Tacktick Microcompass as the NAs. I have a velcro mount set up for it to attach to the mast, but our rules direct that compasses be attached to the deck. Any thoughts on whether I can legally attach it to the mast? (Yes, I have a plan B - deck mount already purchased - can velcro it to the deck . . . but compass is more out-of-the-way velcro'd to mast). Also, any thoughts to confirm that digital TackTick Microcompass is now "class legal?"

From a previous thread with Beldar.

Dear Beldar B.,

At the last World Council meeting, several rule changes were presented and approved. Please be aware, however, that while these changes have been approved by the ISCA World Council, they WILL NOT GO INTO EFFECT until they are approved by World Sailing. World Sailing has yet to approve these rule changes and this process could take as long as 2 years.

Importantly, this means that these Council-approved changes, including the vertically aligned rudder, are NOT in effect for the upcoming Midwinter Championship or any other Sunfish regatta for the foreseeable future.

The class will continue to update the membership on the status of these rule changes. These changes can be found in the minutes of the Advisory Council meeting which are posted HERE.

Fair winds,

Rich Chapman
ISCA President

Plan on using the T061 Tacktick Microcompass as the NAs. I have a velcro mount set up for it to attach to the mast, but our rules direct that compasses be attached to the deck. Any thoughts on whether I can legally attach it to the mast? (Yes, I have a plan B - deck mount already purchased - can velcro it to the deck . . . but compass is more out-of-the-way velcro'd to mast). Also, any thoughts to confirm that digital TackTick Microcompass is now "class legal?"
Make a mounting out of a few layers of fiberglass tape where one end attaches to the deck—and suspend the other end at the mast? It could even be designed to attach ahead of the mast, even encircling the mast. Overhead view—just the black part in the middle:

Fullscreen capture 532019 105501 AM.bmp-004.jpg

Last edited:
The compass is currently illegal so it really doesn’t matter where you will mount it - it will have to be removed to pass inspection.

But deck mounting is the only legal thing way to mount them anyway.
Perhaps you should submit a proposed rules change to mount it to the mast once the digital compasses are approved by WS.

However, if your boat is properly rigged for racing, I don’t think there is room on the mast for the compass. It’ll have to be below the gooseneck, so if there is room, your sail is rigged too high. Fast forward to a it 9:30 in this video and you will see what I mean.

Note that that video shows an adjustable Vang, but that is no longer legal.

All, thanks for our quick thoughts. I have two strikes agains me - first, I've been in the class for only 14 months; second, I'm a trial attorney. I'm aware that the rules USED to state that digital compasses were NOT allowed . . . THEN the 2015 rules/amendments came out and they state only that you may have two compasses or two timers - they do NOT state that Digital compasses cannot be used. Under statutory construction, if the rules once outlawed digital compasses and now there is no such provision outlawing them, aren't they now allowed???!!! Please tell me where I am wrong - because you guys know much more than me about this class - and show me where Digital compasses are outlawed still??? (Yes, I've seen the 2017 Sunfish class vote in favor of digital compasses - but that does not mean they are not allowed. Right?)

Digital compasses have never been legal in Sunfish. Never ever.
Until World Sailing approves the change you mention, they are still not legal. Have a look at class rule 4.2. Per the email copied in from Rich Chapman, above, it is unknown when World Sailing will approve digital compasses.

Hello, Beldar. Thanks so much for your input. Are you aware of the rule sometime before 2015 that specifically forbade "digital compass[es]?" I can look it up/search it if you are not familiar. And would you agree that the 2015 rules - which I understand are the current rules - do not specifically outlaw or forbid a Digital compass, i.e., the current rules deleted that previous requirement? Please let me rely upon your experience and knowledge - do you believe there is a provision somewhere in the current rules that outlaw Digital compasses? If so, can you zip me the Paragraph Number - if you can find it, then the beer is on me at NAs! Again, I apologize for my inexperience in this class - just trying to find a way to read a compass with 60 year-old eyes. Tommy

Rule 4.2. That is all it takes.

And I don’t believe your thinking re: pre-2015 rules is correct but you are welcome to prove me wrong.

Here is rule 4.2. The class has long held that a compass is a navigational device and that Tackticks and similar are electronic and are compasses.

1556915873926.png

I don’t see what needs clarification, but if you think clarification is needed You should email the US and Intl Sunfish presidents and state your concern.

Back