race version vs. regular sunfish

tomt89

is the race sail bigger - it sure looks bigger? does it need different hardware? i'm considering buyng a used regular fish and converting it to a race version.

anyone know what i'd need to change and at about what cost?

thanks, tom

is the race sail bigger - it sure looks bigger? does it need different hardware? i'm considering buyng a used regular fish and converting it to a race version.

anyone know what i'd need to change and at about what cost?

thanks, tom

You can get a white racing sail with a window for $400. don't pay more. Joining the class costs around $30/year, $55 if you pick a sail number--they provide the numbers.

You need an adjustable gooseneck, tell tales, and a few more modifications to make it race ready--like Cunningham, outhaul, and perhaps a halyard cleat on the mast.

Thousands of people have raced their Sunfishes without all the add-ons. You can do so as well. Depending on your skill and that of the others, you may even win a race. But to be competitive at the highest level, you will want to dress up your fish with, at a minimum, a race sail and the plastic fantastic (foam) daggerboard. Cunningham and outhaul cleats, perhaps, but these additional controls can distract you from sailing the boat well and tacking on the next shift.

Back