Quicker forestay mast attachment?

caprich

I recently bought a C14 and am a relatively novice sailer. Due to location, I trailer my boat and set up at the lake. I have a furling jib and I am wondering if there is a quicker, easier pin to attach the forestay to the mast. Any pointers?

Rich

At the top of my roller furling jib I use a two inch stainless steel Carabiner. It is West Marine part number 115923 and cost $12.99. At the bottom of the jib I use a Ball-Loc Quick-Release Pin, you need to make sure you buy the correct size pin. I took the bottom of my roller furler off the jib and took it into three marine hardware stores before I found the correct one. I also use the Quick Release pins for my shrouds. I can rig my boat, solo, in 10 mins. now.

Carabiner

At the top of my roller furling jib I use a two inch stainless steel Carabiner. It is West Marine part number 115923 and cost $12.99. At the bottom of the jib I use a Ball-Loc Quick-Release Pin, you need to make sure you buy the correct size pin. I took the bottom of my roller furler off the jib and took it into three marine hardware stores before I found the correct one. I also use the Quick Release pins for my shrouds. I can rig my boat, solo, in 10 mins. now.

Hello, I am in the market to speed up my rigging and at the same time switch over to a Furler system. I am going to buy the Harken 434 gear, but I see on page 17 of the manual posted on this site> that I need a 15" pennant wire. Can you buy these off the shelf? If I use this 2 inch carabiner do I need a 13 inch wire?
If you cannot buy this off the shelf, who is quick at making them? I want to have it for labor day.

What pins do you use for your shrouds? About 90% of my time to raise all my hardware is fishing the little key ringish keeperes through the pins.

Thanks,

Bill

I was going to do the conversion too. Catalina Direct sells the furler + swivel (it is the Harken unit) but suggests you call them for the other parts to the conversion. It turns out that the jib needs some conversion too -- the hanks need to be removed, then someone needs to add luff tape and the wire needs to be strong enough to become the forestay.

Do a search on this forum for others' suggestions -- lots of info here.

The luff of the furling jib is a bit shorter (as I understand) so the sail is actually cut differently.

The penant needed is actually the same part number as the penant on your boom vang (although, some here have said it needs to be shorter). You could use that penant and eliminate the one on the vang (at least one forum member did away with his just to keep his crew from getting whacked by the vang hardware).

In the end, I opted to keep my non-furling jib since the cost to convert was quickly getting out of hand. Perhaps it is not recommended, but I often just furl my jib around the forestay by hand, then pass a line through the jib tack and tie back to the mast right above the vang. It isn't as easy to unfurl as the furler, but it is very quick to unwrap and get going from my dock slip. I don't store it this way when I need to leave the boat for several days. And I might add that my jib isn't a nice, crisp, new North sail either!

Getting the Tape

measure and will see if the drawings in the manual match mine. I am pretty sure they do, as the boat is a Mod 3 with original sails. IT does have the hanks to attach to the forstay, but it also has the correct size wire in the luff of the jib. The boat also has the guide for the furling line built into the deck and the cleat. Which both appear to be factory installed.
I think these newest boats could go either way, and the sails were made to fit both.
My tape measure will confirm this.
I will also follow the tip of snagging my plastic coated wire from my vang as suggested. At least to get me thru labor day sailing. West Marine is running a special 20 bucks off an order over 150. So, the furler will run me 170.

Thanks

Bill

The 1/4" X 1 1/2" sold at West Marine will work, but I bought a 1/4 X 1" that has less slop in it. West Marine does not have this size, I found it at another marine store in my area.

Back