Quick release pins

Rod

Hi!

As a trailer sailor ,I have to travel about 2 hours to the closest lake. That being the case I am trying to cut down on my rigging and unrigging time to have more time for my sailing.

I was wondering about using quick locking pins for my front for stay/jib.

Things I am already doing when trailering:
I leave my shrouds attached all the time when trailering.
I keep my mainsheet in place attached to the boom and traveler. Then just secure the boom to the mast.
I wrap my rudder with a towel and the tiller with plumbing insulation foam then secure to the mast cords.
Any tips from those that trailer their boats every time they sail?

I trailer everytime I go out as well.
I use these cotter rings for the forestay: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/98/cotter-ring-elliptical-package-of-10.cfm . I have a roller furling on the front, which limits access to the hole and pin. The elliptical cotter ring makes it easier.
I wrap the tiller/rudder with a towel and leave it in the bottom of the boat.
I think I'll try leaving the main sheet attached, hadn't thought of that.
I use two ratchet straps to secure the boat to the trailer. Quicker than ropes for me.
I leave the foot of the main sail attached to the boom. I wrap it with a sail cover and lay it in the boat.
I wrap the end of the mast and boom (that hang out the back end of the boat) with a rubber car floor mat and wrap it with a bunge. I tie the mast off to the horn cleats so it all doesn't slide sideways.

How do you pack your jib sail?
I used to fold the rolled jib sail until I learned that can damage the forestay wire.

Thanks jdk

I furl the jib, disconnect the forestay from the bow and bungee the forestay/jib to the mast. I don't disconnect the forestay from the mast. Also, I use the jib sheets to tie the mast and jib to the neck on the trailer that supports the mast.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks for the tips JDk it really sped things up today. I wrapped my sail& boom with leftover rug padding to protect the sail and boom from rubbing on mast. Due to my limited carpentry skills I made a very simple transom crutch using wood, leftover roller, and $1.50 garage hooks. Really easy to put on and the roller really helps with sliding mast back to line up on the step.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I came up with a simpler trailering set up. I use 2 six feet long 4x2 pieces of wood which I tape some padding on which lay horizontally across the cockpit. I run the tie downs over this to secure it. I lay the boom and rudder over this which I hold down with bungee cords. I skip securing the boom on the mast step just to lessen things to do. I just wrap the main sail ,which is folded om the boom, with a carpet padding for protection. I did away my transom mounted mast crutch and use wood layed on the cockpit. It is easier to raise the mast with lots of area to lay things so as not to scratch/damage the boat. I trailered for 2 hours running 65mph and everything held in place.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I like that roller on the mast crutch, great idea. Seeing your rigs makes me realize how valuable the pickup truck is. When I trailer the Capri all the gear just goes in the bed of the old F250.

Back