Quick release gooseneck materials???

shorefun

So I have a question....

The boat companies sell a quick release gooseneck for the Sunfish. As best I can tell it is a just a $10 bicycle seat quick release I take off of bikes I find in the trash.

These do not last well in the salt environment. The aluminum nut on the steel shaft do not hold up well. For $30 one would hope they had them made in 316. But I am thinking they are paying $5 in bulk for seat post levers and making $$$.

I am up for paying $30 for an all SS 316 product, but I get them for free from bikes otherwise. Just saying...

I completely agree with you. The quick release for a gooseneck definitely corrodes in salt water. I actually went to a bicycle shop and purchased used seat post levers for less than $10 that work much better!

I use the cheapest bicycle quick release seat post clamp I can get. Amazon/Ebay/other currently have 10 packs of them for sale for $10.95. Buy the ten pack. Eventually the nut will fuse into the threaded portion, but by that time you have it set correctly and it's not an issue. Keep the rest as spares, hand them out to your sunfish friends.

I also move gooseneck every time I sail and leave it loose at the tack of the sail. I leave it there for two reasons, one to aid in cleanly rolling the sail for storage, and also to prevent corrosion from forming in the area where the gooseneck sits while sailing.

I also move gooseneck every time I sail and leave it loose at the tack of the sail. I leave it there for two reasons, one to aid in cleanly rolling the sail for storage, and also to prevent corrosion from forming in the area where the gooseneck sits while sailing.

I like this.

Back