Quick question..hiking strap

NDman06

I havent installed a hiking strap yet on my boat due to time restraints. Are there any ideas for a jerryrigged hiking strap setup? I'm going out in the fish today and i wold lve to hike out.
-Dean

If you have the attaching hardware in the cockpit already, you can make a strap from just about anything that looks like a strap, and some rope. Or just a rope. Not recommended permanently, but it would do for a day. My strap was toast after 10+ years in the sun before I got it (so was the sail and rigging), and I trimmed an aircraft cargo strap in there with no difficulty. I needed one, because my clonefish (aquafinn) has no cockpit lip, just a molded basin. If you have a sunfish, you might just curl your toes under the cockpit lip, and save the really wild acrobatics for next weekend.

A good, cheap hiking strap can be made from a piece of automobile nylon web seat belt that any junk yard has. Hack saw off one of the metal mounting brackets and you have one sewn loop and then cut the web to length, burn the raw edge and sew another loop at the new end. Attach with line to fittings that you install in the forwad end of the cockpit and the rear end of the cockpit. Hold the strap up with a loop of shockcord tied to the underside if the cockpit edge.You can even pad the strap with foam and then tape over the foam, but the foam will absorb some water over time, and the bare strap is not that bad.

Enjoy.

Alan Glos
Cazenovoia, NY

just stand on the side wall of the cockpit or tuck or toes under the lip as suggested. you don't have to have the strap to hike...

Hey, noodles, sweet tyvek sail. I saw that on one web site and wondered about doing it, as my sail is pretty worn and battered. How's it working out and any tips that vary from what other advice i'll find on line?

Thanks everyone....i ended up sticking my toes under the cockpit lip but....after the amazing day of sailing I had....i'm going to install the hiking strap :)

The Tyvek sail was done on a lark. We probably saw the same page. It was one of those things that was so cool in an oddball sort of way that I just had to do it. I got the sheet from a superintendant of a development being built nearby (he had about fifty 100-foot rolls, and he just gave me 30 feet. Carpet tape worked really well on the seam, not so well on the luff - it started separating on the fourth time out. Some more carpet tape would probably have taken care of it, but I got the fun I wanted out of it, so I retired it.
I doubled, then trip'd, then quad'd the layers on the corners to take the stress on the grommet, but I think three would have done it. Start about 18" from the corner, and just tape on a triangle-shaped corner. Move in six inches, repeat, and then six more.
Get two sizes of grommets, for the outhauls and for the mast hoops.

It's a little noisy (rattly, really), but it's fun watching everyone else in the marina point and smile.
Have fun!

Can someone explain to a complete novice how the hiking strap should fit? I have a vanguard replacement kit - am restoring a 1969 Sunfish from just about scratch. Haven't sailed for about 30 years, no sailboats nearby to look at. I seem to have a flat metal strip with screws, a webbing strap, an eyestrap, and a bit of white cord. Doesn't seem to make sense.......
More dopey questions to follow....Thanks Guys

Chris 2 is actually Sue!

A hiking strap should be around two inches above the floor of the cockpit - although this varies, many people like different levels. And no, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. My dad's hiking strap has two mounts on each side of the cockpit, and then the seatbelt webbing (padded) attached between. He keeps his about an inch off the floor, but i have a hard time getting my feet under that.

Check the post "Hiking Strap Usage" posted 8-20, with the other posts about installation and the attached pictures should help. Also check the "Tips and Tricks" or "FAQs" on the SF Class home page, there are diagrams that may help you do the installation.

Chris2 (Sue) - If you need additional help or more pictures, let me know. I did an installation on my '69 (without cubby) about 3 weeks ago. You will also need a 4" port and some backing (aluminum plate or fender washers) for the rear attachment and a 6' Port behind the splash rail for the front attachment.

NDman06 - Same thing, only on a '86 (with cubby). No 4" port needed.

In the mean time, use the cockpit edge to hook your feet under and go sail.

I have the same...a '68-'71 (best guess), without the Cubby. I'm going to install the hiking strap during the winter when I can bear to have my Fish dry for a while.

Back