Questions on Racing Daggerboard

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
I’ve bought and sold many Sunfish, but I’ve never owned a fiberglass racing daggerboard. The cost made it prohibitive for my budget, especially because I’ve got several mahogony boards of various styles and that’s all I’ve known.
But there’s one on eBay right now, class legal, reconditioned and looks very nice, with a buy it now price of $275 (over $300 when said and done with shipping and tax). I think the price is about right since a new board is $450
Knowing I’ve bought complete boats for less, it’s hard for me to justify this cost, but I’ve read the racing board is the best upgrade after a ‘new style’ rudder.
I started looking around at comparison boards.
An FRP Recreational board is $299 new at Sunfish Direct.
A “Replica FRP board” sells for $225 at Intensity.
Which to buy?
Will I really notice a difference in performance with any of them over the mahogony barrington board? I’m not a racer, but enjoy recreational sailing. Maybe I don’t need the Vanguard class legal with my Ratsey & Lapthorn sail!
What’s the difference (besides price) between FRP and replica FRP? They look the same.
Which would you buy?

Big difference. The first time you tack and you don't side slip. You can point better as the foil is lifting.
Thanks. Do you think there’s a noticeable difference between class legal and FRP? Or “Replica FRP?” Are Fiberglass Reinforced Panels not as strong? Or lighter so less responsive?

For recreational sailing, the classic styles are just fine. After all, they were used for decades.
In other words, I wouldn't spend the money if you are not racing (and need to be 'class-legal')
But if you insist, the replica racing board appears to be identical in its dimensions to the legal version.

PS: My limit for a class legal second hand 'race' board would be $200.

Do you think there’s a noticeable difference between class legal and FRP? Or “Replica FRP?” Are Fiberglass Reinforced Panels not as strong? Or lighter so less responsive?
The legal boards since 2010 have been made of FRP, or Fibre Reinforced Plastic. Anything that's called "recreational" or a "replica" is simply an imitation thereof, more or less similarly constructed. I don't believe any of these (legal or not) contain any other fibres than glass, so they're "GRP" as well.

If I were you, I'd stick to my old foils... unless they're all trashed beyond repair :confused:

_

Back