Questions on buying a boat and light repairs

Thread starter #21
Update: i can’t really spring for tools right now, but i pretty desperately need to drain the boat. Just rained, and the hull is full of water. Would rather my foam not get soaked :/

beldar boathead

The hull shouldn’t fill up from rain or your boat has got serious problems. What have you used to try to free the plug so far?

I assume your cockpit drain is plastic so that shouldn’t be frozen up. So you can empty the cockpit cis the plastic bailer right?

Thread starter #24
The hull shouldn’t fill up from rain or your boat has got serious problems. What have you used to try to free the plug so far?

I assume your cockpit drain is plastic so that shouldn’t be frozen up. So you can empty the cockpit cis the plastic bailer right?
Sorry bout my terms-fill up is a slight exaggeration. I can feel it a bit heavier though. “Rain” also means pretty heavy-medium storms over the last 3 days. I think it’s just water going into the damage in the daggerboard trunk, but I’ve covered that up for now.

Bailer and cockpit drain are plastic. Boat is stored upside down for now.

Edit- as it’s been rather nasty out i haven’t put too much into freeing the drain. Just really a flat head screwdriver has been tried in many ways.

L&VW

Update: i can’t really spring for tools right now, but i pretty desperately need to drain the boat. Just rained, and the hull is full of water. Would rather my foam not get soaked :/
Start collecting clamps—you'll never have enough of them. Clothes-pins work in a "pinch". (Pardon the unintended pun ;) ).

When a holiday or a "Black Friday" rolls around, you'll need to ask your folks for at least, a drill: second, a saw.

For Sunfish work, I suggest a saber saw, but a bigger reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight is less than $29. Other tools are discussed here at the forum:
Sunfish Tools... | SailingForums.com

A drill is necessary to start an inspection port installation using this $7 budget hand saw:

Hearing protectors and needle nose pliers are only $1 each at Dollar Tree stores.

I use a little "tack hammer" more than any other hammer. Although I don't see an essential use for it on a Sunfish, this $12 tool is new to me, and would be a good substitute for a tack hammer:

Although Harbor Freight's $16 cordless-drill battery only lasts a few minutes of actual drilling, I bought one to quickly replace my selection of four Ryobi cordless drills destroyed in Hurricane Irma's flooding. It has a small light and a level built-in. I returned Harbor Freight's $79 pressure washer, as it broke after six seconds of use. (According to reviews, a record failure :oops:).

One Ryobi with a lithium battery (a fifth Ryobi :cool: !) was not endangered, but I had to buy a new charger (off-brand, charges Lithium and NiCd—$20).

Which battery is best?
NiCad vs Lithium Ion: Which is battery better for cordless tools

Liquid wrench, very wide blade screw driver and adjustable wrench to allow more torque on the screw driver. Don't just turn but work back and forth and keep applying the liquid wrench. The wrench is for extra torque but don't over do, use it to work back and forth. It took a while to lock up, it will take a bit to free it up.

Thread starter #28
I’ll be trying to more patiently free it this week. Broke the “o ring” like thing around the drain plug and have been putting wd 40 in a few times a day. Also been tapping screwdriver with hammer to shake it up.

Thread starter #29
Start collecting clamps—you'll never have enough of them. Clothes-pins work in a "pinch". (Pardon the unintended pun ;) ).

When a holiday or a "Black Friday" rolls around, you'll need to ask your folks for at least, a drill: second, a saw.

For Sunfish work, I suggest a saber saw, but a bigger reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight is less than $29. Other tools are discussed here at the forum:
Sunfish Tools... | SailingForums.com

A drill is necessary to start an inspection port installation using this $7 budget hand saw:

Hearing protectors and needle nose pliers are only $1 each at Dollar Tree stores.

I use a little "tack hammer" more than any other hammer. Although I don't see an essential use for it on a Sunfish, this $12 tool is new to me, and would be a good substitute for a tack hammer:

Although Harbor Freight's $16 cordless-drill battery only lasts a few minutes of actual drilling, I bought one to quickly replace my selection of four Ryobi cordless drills destroyed in Hurricane Irma's flooding. It has a small light and a level built-in. I returned Harbor Freight's $79 pressure washer, as it broke after six seconds of use. (According to reviews, a record failure :oops:).

One Ryobi with a lithium battery (a fifth Ryobi :cool: !) was not endangered, but I had to buy a new charger (off-brand, charges Lithium and NiCd—$20).

Which battery is best?
NiCad vs Lithium Ion: Which is battery better for cordless tools

I do have this type of stuff, just meant i can’t really go spend 40 bucks on a hand impact screwdriver that ill use once every 10 years right now

An impact driver probably won't work for this job anyway--the deck where the drain plug is located is too flexible and weak to transmit the force of the driver to the plug (the driver might just punch the drain through the deck). Impact drivers work best on stuff mounted in a bench vise or on screws in things like brake drums or engine blocks.

Last edited:
Thread starter #31
An impact driver won't work for this job anyway--the deck where the drain plug is located is too flexible and weak to transmit the force of the driver to the plug (the driver might just punch the drain through the deck). Impact drivers work best on stuff mounted in a bench vise or on screws in things like brake drums or engine blocks.
Interesting. In theory tapping a screwdriver with a hammer would also do little to shake up the plug and let some wd 40 in, correct?

Thread starter #33
Freed it! Tapped a log screwdriver with a hammer lots, wiggled it around, broke the o ring, and sprayed lots of wd 40. Repeated this and was able to pry it up