What's new

Questions about Toe Rails and Association legal replacements

Pingpro

Hi all,
I am new to j/24's and recently purchased hull #3205 (1982) and it needs a few repairs to be water ready. One are the toe rails. I initially thought I'd go with PVC but $840 for a set of plastic toe rails seems crazy... (Waterline Systems). I'm also looking into artificial wood (kinda like Trex Decking), I found a company that would custom fabricate them for me and has done toe rails before. I'm also looking into slotted aluminum as it would be durable and great for attaching things to it. I am wondering if either of the last two options would make the boat class illegal. I don't plan to race it in class races, but don't want to reduce resale value down the road. I don't know what either option would cost yet, but before pursuing, I figured I'd check on legality.

Also does anyone have the actual specs on the toe rails? Length of each section and width at bottom, top and height?

Many thanks,
Christian

Thomas Anthony

Not being a rule's expert I can't comment on the legality issue. Common sense might say if this was a 5,000 series boat sailed by a top caliber crew in a highly visible OD National/Worlds event and it was perceived that the modification in some way enhanced the boat's performance, then perhaps yes it might be subject to protest. At a local/regional level though I would not think this would draw ire.
In terms of valuation, any mod from standard is not likely to add value. That said, the vintage you own is typically not very expensive, so can't imagine a huge loss of value due to the mod although it may make it less saleable. Toe rails are pretty resilient though, is there some localized issue like a collision that could perhaps just have a small portion of the teak rail replaced? I know my rails were pretty weathered and gray when I purchased the boat, but through cleaning, sanding and 8-10 coats of varnish were able to be resorted to like new condition. Just my 2 cents and as they say YMMV.......

Pingpro

Not being a rule's expert I can't comment on the legality issue. Common sense might say if this was a 5,000 series boat sailed by a top caliber crew in a highly visible OD National/Worlds event and it was perceived that the modification in some way enhanced the boat's performance, then perhaps yes it might be subject to protest. At a local/regional level though I would not think this would draw ire.
In terms of valuation, any mod from standard is not likely to add value. That said, the vintage you own is typically not very expensive, so can't imagine a huge loss of value due to the mod although it may make it less saleable. Toe rails are pretty resilient though, is there some localized issue like a collision that could perhaps just have a small portion of the teak rail replaced? I know my rails were pretty weathered and gray when I purchased the boat, but through cleaning, sanding and 8-10 coats of varnish were able to be resorted to like new condition. Just my 2 cents and as they say YMMV.......
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the reply and information, all real good points. I agree that based on the overall value of the boat, it doesn't really matter too much. I never really considered trying to repair/restore them. I think I could get away with restoring the one on the transom, but most are too far gone (pictures attached). I'm a newish sailor and don't really plan to race in anything bigger than the local sailing club. I'll probably just go with PVC.
Thanks Again and Stay Warm,
Christian

Attachments

Thomas Anthony

Yeah they do look like they have seen better days/time to replace. I would say this, always remember the up front discount given when you purchased the boat, i.e. you probably saved 50k plus or minus, so that should take some of the sting off the price of toe rail replacement. I had to replace the cabin sole in mine (about $400-500 in materials for the new teak and holly, west system, varnish, etc.) in addition to other basic stuff like all new running rigging, sails, etc., but still when I look at the all in price, I think they are pretty economical 24 ft. boats that happen to sail pretty well (given their vintage).