Questions about the levels of Laser racing.

I have posted a similar thread but I need some clarification.
I'm currently 15 and I've sailed lasers before but only recreationally. I am located in district 13 according to the ILCA as I live in florida. Now I know that some regattas are invitation only and some you can sign up for. What I'm wondering is, how do you get invited to say districts, nationals, or worlds. Basically what I'm looking for is an outline of the stages from lowest level of competing to the highest for radials youth.
I'm looking to enter the orange bowl international youth regatta in Miami. If I do good would I get a certain amount of points or is there some other type of ranking system that determines who gets invited to nationals and things like that. Thanks in advance.

Very, very few regattas are invitation only. Generally only class championships with limited berths. If there is invitation, it would be determined by how you placed in a qualifying regatta. The exact criteria would be specified in the notice of regatta.

However since you are sailing Radial youth, I think this is something you don't need to worry about. Something like the Orange Bowl regatta may have qualifications, but in a place like Florida there are literally dozens of regattas you can attend by simply registering, paying the entry fee and showing up.

Sometimes regattas require qualifying in another regatta to be invited and/or eligible, there should be info on your district site for these events

Do you have to be invited to the Nationals in the US? Over here (UK) anyone can do the nationals, just pay your entry fee, turn up and go racing.

Thanks, but I'm still confused on how I would qualify for nationals or regionals.

You need to find the Notice of Race for any regatta you are interested in attending. It will explicitly state any qualifications required. More likely than not, the only qualification is to be a current member of the class.

Do you have to be invited to the Nationals in the US? Over here (UK) anyone can do the nationals, just pay your entry fee, turn up and go racing.

Not from what I have seen. The only Laser regattas where I have ever seen qualifications are world championships and ones geared specifically towards Olympic-level sailors (like the Miami OCR).

From what I understand you research the event if there is a qualifying regatta you go to that and if you don't make the "cut" then try again next year. Anyone can go to a qualifiyer.

Jason,

I suggest that you go over to Sarasota Sailing Squadron and meet some people. They do have some Lasers there and probably some kind of fleet racing that you could participate in without becoming a member.
There is a series of inexpensive regattas on the West Coast of Florida. Contact Antolin Riveira [email protected] for information about them. We have a similar series on the Treasure Coast during the summer months.

The District 13 Chaampionships are at USSCMC in Jenson Beach on December 10-11. http://www.usscmc.org/ for more information. You need to be a class member, but there are no other qualification requirement.

Foxy

You can sail ANY regatta you want in Radial in the United States, as long as it's not an ISAF World Cup event, in which Radial is only sailed by Women. I would recommend you to start small and local with things like Orange bowl, then work your way up to Laser NA's, CORK, Mid winters East, Midwinters West, East Coast Champs, West Coast Champs, Canadian Champs.. All of these count towards qualifying for LASER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. You can qualify for Youth Worlds by going through the ISAF Youth World Championship curriculum on ussailing's website. You need to qualify at age 17, in order to be eligible by 18.

Hope this helps

Jason,
I to am a 15yo Radial sailor..
once you create a US sailing memebershipmit opens an entire new realm of opportunities for you.You can sail in junior olyimpic regattas,go to youth championship qualifiers(if you finish well got to the championships),plus if you are a member of a yacht club it opens up coaching and travel opppurtunities.For example i started sailing radials last year and because of the coaching in my club(Pleon YC) i was ably to qualify for youth nationals and go to north americans,radial nationals,CORK,and other regional regattass.

If you would like I am sailing at orange bowl and we could meet some time during the regatta.......

Jason,
I to am a 15yo Radial sailor..
once you create a US sailing memebershipmit opens an entire new realm of opportunities for you.You can sail in junior olyimpic regattas,go to youth championship qualifiers(if you finish well got to the championships),plus if you are a member of a yacht club it opens up coaching and travel opppurtunities.For example i started sailing radials last year and because of the coaching in my club(Pleon YC) i was ably to qualify for youth nationals and go to north americans,radial nationals,CORK,and other regional regattass.

If you would like I am sailing at orange bowl and we could meet some time during the regatta.......

Back