Question?

Merrimac

How much would a Capri 14.2 be worth with new sheets and nice sails with a trailer?
Is the Capri a good boat to learn on?
Thanks,

Is the Capri a good boat to learn on?
Thanks,

I would say it depends. A Capri would be fine if someone experienced is going to teach you. Otherwise I would start with a mono-sail boat like a Sunfish or Laser. This is especially true if you plan to sail single-handed. The Capri has a lot of sail area for its size and it's easy to get in over your head if you sail in an area where the winds can be erratic and can pick up unpredictably. In these circumstances a little experience reading the wind is very helpful, and you can get that experience with just about any small sailboat.

I've found that value varies by location quite a bit. Where I'm at in the upper midwest, values tend to be quite a bit higher than out on the coasts. $2500 for a nice boat from the 90's is not unusual at all. I learned to sail on my capri, but I also took an ASA 101 class and without the instruction I surely would have been in for quite a mess. If you are going to learn without any help, I woudl agree with JGM, go with a sunfish. If you have an opportunity for some training, the Capri will be a great first boat.

Back