Question: brown stains on hull

ctboren

After washing the top of my newly purchased 1980 sunfish, a bunch of brown stains appeared. I can’t for the life of me figure out how they got there or how to get rid of them.

Anybody know what might be going on here? Or how to get rid of the stains?

boat washed with starbrite boat wash, left out to air dry, and stored outside under a tarp. Stains only appeared on the front left part of the boat

58673EFE-7AEC-4000-9A54-FD650B85DB91.jpeg

98EBFEB0-4C0B-41D9-930F-400E9CF170E9.jpeg

I just saw Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner in action 2 weeks ago. I bought some. Also Mr Clean white sponge things.

Probably other solutions, I am just learning.

I suspect the stains came either directly or indirectly from the tarp. Perhaps they are contact stains or biological organisms at work?

Air-dried in the sun, with the left side facing the sun and warmer than the right, your new discolorations don't appear in the areas nearest the splashguard or the cleat. That's where the tarp wouldn't touch the deck. (Although the photographs don't show those areas well).

I use a little powdered cleanser (Ajax?) and a sponge, but then, I don't use a tarp and let rain rinse my boat to keep it clean--sorta clean... :rolleyes:

Starbrite is fantastic. We use it to remove iron based stains on the yacht deck and hull or ‘tea stains’ on our stainless.

If the stain is organic such as decomposing leaves under the tarp you might also try strong bleach.

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! I’ll report back when I get a chance to try them out

Back