Question about towing

flounder43

I know this is more of a question relating to my car, but I thought I would ask here because many of you obviously have towed your boats.

It is almost time to get my Capri out of the water for the season. I have never towed the boat before because I just bought it this summer. I understand that the boat itself only weighs 340lbs, so there is hope for my car. My car is small, a 1997 Mazda Protege. It has a little 4 cyl engine, but does have a hitch (from the previous owner). Has anyone towed their Capri with such a small car?

I would tow mine with a 4-cylinder Honda no problem with the kids , wife and me through hilly San Diego County at freeway speed all the time. Barely felt like the car was towing a boat. Went all the way to Tempe, AZ towing a Capri 14 with no problems with that car.

I have towed my 14.2 with a Chevrolet Cavalier and a Pontiac Vibe and had no problems with either. Had it on the freeway with both cars and both of them towed the 14.2 just fine.

Roger

OK this is a fun topic for me... I just traded my 2005 Chevy Malibu, with a 2.2 liter 4 banger... I put a hitch on it... yep, the capri fully loaded, with trailer, weighs in at no more than 800lbs...

My malibu (surprise, mid size car that cannot tow), is rated at NO MORE than 1000lbs..

Anyway, it tows it fine, and your Protege (a mazda, with a stronger engine), will also be fine. Keep in mind... to give extra room to stop, and you will get lousy gas mileage.

I SOLD my malibu (which got 35 mpg highway, and 12 mpg towing up hill - I live in the mountains).. and replaced it with a DODGE RAM 2500 ... I am trading my CAPRI 14.2 for a CAPRI 22, in the spring. OVERKILL... yep. But those moutains make towing 4000lbs like pulling 8000lbs...

The capri 14.2 is light, and designed to be trailered by anything... except perhaps a motorcycle... You're safe.

My 14.2 and trailor weigh a total of 640 pounds and I tow and launch it with my 2001 Honda Civic. I need to look in the mirror to even know it is back there. My Honda is a stick shift and I have no problem pulling out of the water and up the ramp.

Back