Question about ruddering technique

wrybread

I'm new to sailing, and have a Laser Zuma. I've never sailed a Laser but I gather its like a larger laser, with a smaller sail.

Anyway I've been taking it out in some stronger winds, like 20 knots or so, and I keep getting to a point where I have to put the rudder all the way left or right just to go straight. In other words, I'm holding the rudder all the way left or right, but its not having any effect. This happens even more when I'm riding with a passenger on board.

I'm wondering if that's a trimming issue? Or some other weight distribution issue? Or?

Thanks for any help.

I stronger wind the basic rule is that all trim lines needs to be set tighter, vang and outhaul to make the sail flatter and cunningham to move tha draft forward in the sail and to open up the top of the leech.

All this depowers the sail so you can sheet in a bit and still keep the boat flat enough. This gives you speed and then the flow around centerboard and rudder doesn't stall.

Hey mate,
sounds as though the boat isn't flat & overpowered ... Do you feel a bit out of control when this is happening ?
It's a compounding issue that ultimately puts more load stress on the rig and rudder and yourself.
Look at the shape of your hull, it's fairly flat underneath and rounded at the waterline where the bottom turns into the side of the boat - "round bilge"....
When this area of the boat is the predominant wetted area ( when the boat isn't flat ) the hull naturally wants to turn " in on itself" ....ie: the port side bilge lower = boat turns toward starboard & vice versa.
Given the rudder size & shape ( tall & thin) - high aspect - on your boat there's not a comparable force genenerated enabling it to effect steering under the conditions you describe - heavy air with heeled boat - so it's stalling big time... May aswell throw a bucket over the back !
As stated above, regain control by de powering the rig, sailing the boat as flat as possible, slowing down for manoeuvres until you gain more experience.
I understand its easy to throw words onto the Internet but a different game applying them on the water...patience & practice are as much of all this as is the actual mechanics of what's going on...
Go well mate

The rudder on a laser is tiny. It only works if the boat is being sailed flat.

As soon as their is any heel the boat will want to turn and you will need to be very agressive with the rudder to counteract. This makes you very slow. Hike hard, use the sail controls, play the main and keep the boat flat.

Back