Question about a boat I just picked up

zipgun

The hatch door was missing and I noticed inside that there is a raised piece just leaving the bulkhead and going a foot and a half or so toward the bow. It is something structural. the fiberglass is split and rotten wood is expossed. I assume that this helps the strength of the hull the the boat is heeled. As you can tell this is my first boat and just looking for any imput on it's importance of how the boat functions. thanks

Do you have some pictures? I'm also dealing with some rotten wood, but I may have gotten far enough along to be of some assistance.

do you know what year?

It sounds like my boat (1987 mod 1). I suspect it is a structural rib. Doesn't seem to provide any other purpose.

DO NOT sail the boat without getting a new hatch cover. There have been many posts of major problems happening because of a boat without a hatch cover in place flipps and then fills with water. The hatch is "water tight" and keeps most of the water from filling the hull. I do not know where to get another hatch cover. You may try contacting Catalina or make one yourself. There are some photos of some very nice hatch covers made by boat owners in this forum.

Just my 2 cents

Roger

Back