Putting stays on a Force 5

magictee

I have a Force 5 built in the early '70s. It was exposed to the outside for about six years, so I am concerned about the integrity of the mast step and hull.

Since I will not tbe racing it, I am planning on getting some glass reinforcement of the mast step and tube, and am thinking of putting stays and a guy line on the mast.

Any suggestions regarding how far up the mast I should attach the stays? If the attachment is too high, there will be a strong downward force component imposed on the mast step, for which the hull may not be designed. If the attachment is too low, the stays' will have a minimal torsional effect on the mast step.

Obviously, I will have to get a sail with a halyard and zipper with this new rig, which I am planning on doing, anyway. Do these zippered sails actually work (i.e.: have you heard of any problems with these zippers bursting open or breaking?)?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have for me on this. I'm new to it all. Great discussions, BTW. I am learning a lot from you folks!

Magic, I think this more appropriately belongs in Open Discussion, since it's not about Lasers. Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

I have a Force 5 built in the early '70s. It was exposed to the outside for about six years, so I am concerned about the integrity of the mast step and hull.

Since I will not tbe racing it, I am planning on getting some glass reinforcement of the mast step and tube, and am thinking of putting stays and a guy line on the mast.

Any suggestions regarding how far up the mast I should attach the stays? If the attachment is too high, there will be a strong downward force component imposed on the mast step, for which the hull may not be designed. If the attachment is too low, the stays' will have a minimal torsional effect on the mast step.

Obviously, I will have to get a sail with a halyard and zipper with this new rig, which I am planning on doing, anyway. Do these zippered sails actually work (i.e.: have you heard of any problems with these zippers bursting open or breaking?)?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have for me on this. I'm new to it all. Great discussions, BTW. I am learning a lot from you folks!

The Force 5 has a 3 section, flexable mast. It is designed that way to allow the rig to depower in breeze. If you put stays on it you are going to put loads in places on the boat that were not designed or built to carry loads. Also, you're going to go through some expense to do this. Just reinforce the step as you mentioned above and go. The mast fittings and boom end caps are plastic. You may want to check them for dry rot before sailing. I had the boom fitting that is part of the goose neck fail on my Force 5 years ago while sailing. Not fun.

Back