Purchasing Sunfish from the 70's

Thread starter #21
I have a few sunfish with zero repairs. Done or needed. I have a very similar one to the red one. It has a great rudder and dagger , and a brand new never used intensity sail. In denver call me if you like, 303 250 9107. I can get you some pictures today Kent and Alan are leading authorities in sunfish. Kent has authored a book on buying and restoration.
Sent you a text. If you have something better consider it sold.

Thread starter #22
I'm betting there is :) and this is still the off-season!

Put in a Craigslist ad for "Boat Wanted":
Sunfish sailboat wanted, condition not important, $250 offered.

This is how I ended-up with five (5) great Sunfish! :confused:
So this happened to be really good advice, unfortunately I didn't help me. I post an ad about 3 days ago and drove 7 hours yesterday to pick up a Vagabond 14. When I returned I had 4 messages for several people within 2 hours away wanting to sell a hobie 12, laser, and 2 sunfish all at pretty reasonable prices. If my wife would have let me I may of had to find room for 4 more boats. I would think if someone used CL and wanted to sell a boat they would have posted it for sale.

signal charlie

Staff member
A lot of people don't want to list on CL and get the one or two spam texts, or the lowball phone calls. They also may not want to deal with someone calling who isn't familiar with the Sunfish.

So did you go with a Vagabond instead of a Sunfish?

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Hmm, all I can say here is to do some web research and figure out what would work best for you in nautical terms. Don't sweat glasswork, paint, or other necessary repairs, those aren't rocket science, while the Internet and local library are your friends in that regard. I grew up in a financially-strapped military family but I learned early on what needed to be done, then learned again through trial & error which repair processes or materials worked best. I was lucky to make friends with Tommy from the local surf shop, he's the master at finer surfboard glasswork, but I'm the man when it comes to boat hull repair... Tommy can match pigments and glass boards down to a mirror shine, I prefer the bulletproof glass construction methods and ultimate gelcoat or bad@$$ two-part linear polyurethane paint, the BEST PAINT FOR SMALL CRAFT HULLS, HANDS DOWN. You can do all this work yourself, ya know? Don't be afraid of it, and don't base your decision to buy a boat upon cosmetic issues alone, I guarantee that you can make that little girl look like a MILLION DOLLARS with a little sweat & elbow grease, maybe some glasswork, new paint, etc. If you think a boat will work for whichever nautical/sailing/boating venue you happen to have near your house, then by all means, GO FOR IT... the important thing is to GET THE F#% OUT THERE ON THE WATER, LOL!!! :eek:

OKAY, I'M DONE, I NEED ANOTHER COLD BEER ANYWAY... JUST THINK ABOUT WHICH CRAFT WORKS BEST FOR YOU NO MATTER WHERE YA ARE, AYE??? ;)

P.S. Always use two-part linear poly primer before layin' (or sprayin') down the primo two-part linear poly topcoat(s) in the color of your choice... minimum of two coats each for primer and topcoat, YEAH??? The $h!t doesn't SUCK for small fiberglass hulls which FLEX HEAPS during routine operation, LOL. :cool:

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Oh, hell, I meant to give "Signal Charlie" kudos for his excellent advice... keep it up, hand, you'll get this OP sorted out quickly enough, LOL. :eek:

I'm off to trash around at other webistes, CHEERS TO ALL INCLUDING THE OP!!! :rolleyes:

L&VW

A lot of people don't want to list on CL and get the one or two spam texts, or the lowball phone calls. They also may not want to deal with someone calling who isn't familiar with the Sunfish. So did you go with a Vagabond instead of a Sunfish?
CL can be a pain, but I continue to sell-off a number of unwanted clutter. It's especially nice that I'm close to a tourist highway, and sold a collectible auto-advertisement in my driveway just yesterday. (NJ Mom called tourist-daughter to pick it up!) :) I've been ignoring texts that have me contacting them :mad: as they're mostly spam-calls—looking to exploit email addresses or phone numbers. :(

Another message to ignore is, "Do you still have the item?" (Or, their use of poor language skills).

P.S. Always use two-part linear poly primer before layin' (or sprayin') down the primo two-part linear poly topcoat(s) in the color of your choice... minimum of two coats each for primer and topcoat, YEAH??? The $h!t doesn't SUCK for small fiberglass hulls which FLEX HEAPS during routine operation, LOL. :cool:
Nobody made a good red or maroon finish until IMRON (and AWLGRIP) paints became available ~1980. :( A friend suggested rubbing Vaseline© on my maroon Porpoise II, which did bring up the original shine on this Sunfish "clone", but only lasted one short season. I disclosed this to the buyer, who had admired what shine remained.

Thread starter #27
A lot of people don't want to list on CL and get the one or two spam texts, or the lowball phone calls. They also may not want to deal with someone calling who isn't familiar with the Sunfish.

So did you go with a Vagabond instead of a Sunfish?
Well I showed my wife a picture of the boat I was going to pick up and she said there is no way I’m getting on that thing so I opted for the second biggest alternative I could find. May also get a Sunfish later on.

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Rubbing compound in small quantities can also bring back color which has faded from age and "solar abuse"---that's what we call too much exposure to the sun, whether we're referring to a hull or a painful sunburn. I copy that line about the Imron & AwlGrip paints, those are good too, I always went with linear poly because I was on a budget... plus I like the way linear poly flexes as the hull works in a seaway. Now, let me go stand in the corner and slap myself, LOL. :confused:

P.S. I gave ya a like for the excellent observation... :cool: Time for breakfast, Cherrywood Thick Cut Bacon w/ half a dozen fried eggs & homemade hash browns: HEALTH FOOD, BABY, HEALTH FOOD!!! A.k.a. the standard "CHOLESTEROL FEAST!!!" :eek: Meh, no worries, I'll work it off later, LOL... ;)

signal charlie

Staff member
Smart move m273, listening to the Skipper will get you far in life. Those Vagabonds/Holder 14s have a good reputation, more room for folks to move around and another sail to play with.

Did you buy from Jim or find another lead?

Cheers
Kent and Adurey

Thread starter #30
From another lead. I was ready to pick up the sunfish Jim had, but I guess the boat was covered in snow. The person I picked up the Vagabond from is actually in the same area as Jim.