pully on the traveler?

Cavi

okay, I just got a new cable traveler, the ends are alread crimped, so how do I run a pully there or do I just use a clip on the mainsheet instead of a pully?

I don't think there is any need for a small block. My Sunfish had one when I bought it and I haven't bothered t remove it, but most just use the little "clip" or even just a bowline tied in the end of the mainsheet is sufficient.

If you want to use a block there are some sold that have a removable sheave or shackle that allows you to place the block on your traveler without removing it first.

One other question, to install the new traveler. Do i use small clips to hook to the eyeletes. Or do i resk unscrewing the eyelets and reinstalling?

One other question, to install the new traveler. Do i use small clips to hook to the eyeletes. Or do i resk unscrewing the eyelets and reinstalling?

Definately unscrew the eyelets and fasten the wire on as originally installed. Others may have their own better practices, but before I reinstall the screws, I dip them into the opening of the 3m 5200 tube so the threads are filled with the adhesive sealant. I also put a dab underneath the eyelet holes. We want to make sure the new installation is snug and completely watertight. Depending on the circumstances I might even dab a little MarineTex into the holes before fastening, or even use a slightly longer screw. I've never had a reinstallation subsequently fail.

A newly installed wire should last a really long time. I've read here about new ones that have worn quickly, of course, and I can't comment on current quality questions, but my experience with ealier wires is that if you just tie off the mainsheet with a bowline rather than using any hardware, like a clip, you'll get better life from the wire. My own principal reason for always forgoing clips or blocks, however, and just tieing off the mainsheet, is that this is one of those applications where simpler seems to be better. I prefer to minimize the opportunities for possible failure on the water, either with a block or clip.

Back