Pulley uptop the mast??

73sunfish

I would love to be able to easily raise the main with one hand, the current end cap style just doesn't work for me really.

has anyone thought of putting a AMF alcort puffer style mast pulley on?

see picture.. any ideas or thoughts about this project?

DSCN4037.jpg

Does not go up so fine if using 5/16 line. Solution given to me was to lash a Carbo Block to the top of the mast. You can still buy the flagpole pulleys used on the old SF but that means drilling a hole in the top of the mast. I think Carbo Block is a much better solution.

The early Sailfish and Sunfish had a single pulley (block) at the top of the mast that was used for raising the sail. The pulley was attached with an eye bolt that went through the mast.

You could easily duplicate this with a pulley from West Marine or other marine dealer. I think any pulley (Ronstan, etc.) that is large enough for your halyard would work fine. You might have to open the "eye" of the eye bolt a little bit so you can attach the pulley and then close the eye.

I assume Alcort replaced the pulley with the mast-top fairlead because it was less expensive.

Judkei
Reno, NV

Is it really that hard to raise the sail? What I mean by that is the effort required to steer and hold the sheet is greater than the effort to raise the sail, right?

Here is a post dated June 16, 2009 from someone who was looking for the pulley assembly to attach to the mast. You could try contacting Alan Glos to find out if he has another pulley assembly for sale.

Jukei
Reno, NV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for the halyard fairlead pulley assembly to fit a '73 SF

ylojelo
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ylojelo
Send email to ylojelo
Find More Posts by ylojelo
Add ylojelo to Your Contacts

Jun 16, 2009, 07:41 PM #2
Alan Glos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one. $10 + postage. Contact me directly at: [email protected] and I can mail it right out.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

i would just like to be able to lower the sail faster and with more finesse.

what if i wanted to depower the boat and was depending on it to drop and not get stuck halfway down?

i have another question.. why was the pulley replaced with a fairlead bull's eye on the deck by the mast?

i have a broze pulley there.

I just got back from a good time on the lake.

It was quite windy so I pushed off the dock without raising the sail. I pulled with all my might and couldn't quite get it all the way up. Coordinating one hand lifting and turning the boom to keep the gooseneck from hanging up and trying not to tip over in the wind and using all I've got to pull on the halyard-- I'm surprised the fairlead didn't come off the deck.
I like the idea of a single pulley with the axle going through the mast. A couple of small U-bolts epoxied on each side should keep the halyard in place as a simple solution.

Of course, a custom designed cap with a pulley built in that replaces the plastic in the top of the mast would be better.

...using all I've got to pull on the halyard-- I'm surprised the fairlead didn't come off the deck....

I am by no means an expert, but I have found it is easier (and a whole lot less stress on the fairlead or block at the deck), to adjust the height of the sail by pulling down on the halyard above the deck... that is, don't use the fairlead/block at the deck while hoisting the sail. I have the line fed thru the block, so after I've raised the sail, I pull the slack through the block, and tie it to the halyard cleat on the deck.

My next purchase will be a horn cleat to mount on the mast (we talked about halyard cleats here), which would make this operation even easier - just pull down the halyard, cleat it at the mast, then run the extra thru the fairlead/block and cleat it at the deck. Boom vang, if so desired.

Does that make sense?

tag

I am by no means an expert, but I have found it is easier (and a whole lot less stress on the fairlead or block at the deck), to adjust the height of the sail by pulling down on the halyard above the deck... that is, don't use the fairlead/block at the deck while hoisting the sail. I have the line fed thru the block, so after I've raised the sail, I pull the slack through the block, and tie it to the halyard cleat on the deck. Does that make sense?
The factory experts seem to agree, but hey, we don't need no stinking instructions... :rolleyes:
http://www.laserperformance.com/main/images/stories/pdfs/Sunfish/Sunfish(US).pdf

Attachments

• Halyard.jpg
    Halyard.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 132
I raise the sail/rig just like tag described (and use a mast cleat). If I have trouble, I will put my left arm under the boom to lift it (being a 'righthander'). Never felt the need to install a pulley at the top of the mast; prefer to keep things as simple as possible. And I am no Olympian (weightlifter) either.

Just noticed that this is what the manufacturer recommends (thanks Wayne for pointing that out).....

It was quite windy so I pushed off the dock without raising the sail. I pulled with all my might and couldn't quite get it all the way up. Coordinating one hand lifting and turning the boom to keep the gooseneck from hanging up and trying not to tip over in the wind and using all I've got to pull on the halyard-- I'm surprised the fairlead didn't come off the deck.

I don't think the fairlead (or even the earlier block) was intended to be used while raising the sail. Anybody know otherwise?

Fred

You need two hands to hoist the main, and as TAG says you "jump" the halyard with one hand while you "tail" with the other. This is a small sail and does not require a ton of strength to hoist, although it could be hard for a young child.

There are various areas on a SF that would benefit from the reduced friction that blocks would afford. The builders probably are looking at simplicity and their bottom line.

again, i would like to be able to raise the sail even from a sitting down position.
Thanks Alan i got your PM and will get back to you as soon as i can.

i will also be replacing the horn cleat with a cam cleat on the deck closer to the tub.. that should make it so that i don't have to be standing up all out of balance when trying to mess with my sail out in the open water.

287730.jpg

If you put the cleat back near you, the halyard, which already stretches a lot when just being led to the horn cleat, is going to stretch even more since it is leading back to you near the cockpit, so your sail is going to sag even more.

Although inconvenient, there is a reason why the cleat is where it is. People generally move the cleat closer to the top of the mast by putting one on the mast. That limits how much halyard there is to stretch. You will make the problem worse.

If you are going to make any mods, tying a block to the topof the mast is the only one that makes sense, although I think that is unneccessary.

If you really want to make hoisting easy, and make it easy to tighten up the halyard at will, maybe you should install a winch back by the cockpit. When the halyard stretches, just use the winch to tighten things back up :D

BB

If you install the winch, you take a winch wench with you crank it unless you have an electric winch (battery in the cockpit?).

Fred

I have the 'old' style mast, with the pully at the top. One disadvantage is that it puts the halyard on the same side as the pully, and the upper gaff, unlike the current mast cap that feeds it down the opposide of the mast. I also had one, and only one, interesting event happen with the pully. While out in a strong wind the eyebolt opened up, sending pully and sail sailing. My first reaction was that the boat was coming apart. I was able to get the mast down and turn the eyebolt and slip the pully back on and limp to shore. I bent the eyebolt back in shape and never had that happen again, but I do check the eyebolt before I launch now.

A fairlead is for that exact purpose, it leads the halyard in a set direction, it is not meant to be used as a mast turning block, nor is it meant to handle big loads. I read somewhere that the Sunfish is one of the top 25 designs of all time (not just among boats) so I figure somebody had it right when they built and rigged it as they did. No winches, rope to wire halyards, masthead blocks, blocks for the outhaul and cunningham, batteries or running lights. The better mouse trap currently exists. Well maybe not, a plethora of inspection ports wouldn't hurt.

I doubt I'll be adding a pulley on the top of the mast. Thank you all for your input.

DSCN4797.jpg

DSCN4796.jpg

like it, I love how fast it is to cleat and uncleat now without the old horn cleat.

"...I assume Alcort replaced the pulley with the mast-top fairlead because it was less expensive..."
Maybe. I had a WC (Wilcox-Crittenden) s/s pulley come apart while sailing. (At the swivel). I'd kept a cable-tie in my PFD's pocket, and did a repair that got me home.

I had a spare s/s WC pulley back at home, but I'm not trusting that one any more than the first.

The lead through the mast-top works best when it's aligned with the existing fairlead. If your mast is particularly free to rotate, that can be a nuisance; otherwise, just use two hands. The cam-cleat is a good idea to take up any slack that develops over a long day.

Because of the prevailing breeze here, I have to raise the main from the port side—which is not as easy. I guess I could change that, too! :)

That cam cleat and turning block arrangement looks good, but I would never trust the cleat to keep hold of the halyard, it doesn't take much to pop a halyard out of a cam cleat. On larger boats halyards are cleated off on a horn cleat or better still a lever and cam style rope clutche. These provide accident proof releases. Cam cleats are better suited to holding lines that are constantly being adjusted, easy to grip easy to release.

I'm still not sure how I'll secure the halyard so that it doesn't pop out.

I might add a clam cleat on the deck in front of the coaming..

jamcleat.jpg

what do you all think about something like this attached on the mast?

it might be overkill but i'm just curious to know your opinion..

harkenpulleycleat.jpg

My sunfish has a block at the top of the mast, it was on there when i got it. It's definitely smoother but if it didn't already have the pulley i wouldn't have gotten it, i don't think it makes a big difference. But after seeing the cleat you have for the halyard, i'm thinking about putting one of those on my boat, it looks really helpful!

My sunfish has a block at the top of the mast, it was on there when i got it. It's definitely smoother but if it didn't already have the pulley i wouldn't have gotten it, i don't think it makes a big difference.
That was the norm for Sunfish up until the mid 1960s

But after seeing the cleat you have for the halyard, i'm thinking about putting one of those on my boat, it looks really helpful!
This cleat idea, as it stands, is flawed. For one, a cam cleat on the deck won't keep the mast inplace in a capsize. The halyard will simply be pulled up and out of the cleat at the slightest snag.

one can easily install a horn cleat in order to prevent that from happening, and not way out front where you can't reach it, but back by the tub, where one can easily untie the knot and lower the sail without having to climb onto the deck and trying to wrangle the halyard, while trying not to tip the boat over, while holding the tiller, and trying to dock.

This cleat idea, as it stands, is flawed. For one, a cam cleat on the deck won't keep the mast inplace in a capsize. The halyard will simply be pulled up and out of the cleat at the slightest snag.

what do you all think about something like this attached on the mast?

it might be overkill but i'm just curious to know your opinion..

harkenpulleycleat.jpg

...So, am I seeing this right, if this is installed on the top of your mast, and you use the cam cleat, when trying to lower your halyard, the cam won't let it ( the halyard), come down? Right?

...So, am I seeing this right, if this is installed on the top of your mast, and you use the cam cleat, when trying to lower your halyard, the cam won't let it ( the halyard), come down? Right?

i was asking about it being attached to the bottom of the mast not the top.. ;)

i was asking about it being attached to the bottom of the mast not the top.. ;)

wayne mentioned it would be useless in the event of a capsize.. true.

-unless you managed to screw the mast inplace somehow to avoid losing it, since that setup has no way to secure the halyard onto the boat in the event of a capsize..

Back