Puffer ok for 2 100lb dogs (and me!) that love the water and swimming?

mixmkr

Sunfish too small of course.
AMF Puffer with trailer may be available... $600 sound decent?...77 vintage with all parts and usable sails.

Sunfish too small of course.
AMF puffer and trailer may be available... $600 sound decent?...77 vintage with all parts and usable sails.
If its in good shape, and if the trailer is titled, etc, that's about $200 less than what they are going for here in central PA. 2 big dogs? In a centerbpard dinghy?That sounds kind of sketchy to me!

One big puppy...????
I can't help but smile, because your post reminds me of the first time I took my 50 pound lab puppy out in a canoe. 50 pounds doesn't sound like much, but when its 50 pounds of very excited Lab, it was a rather unforgettable experience, highlighted by her launching herself over the side to investigate a duck that happened by. I am just really glad that cell phone cameras and YouTube weren't around at the time! But eventually she calmed down and became a reliable crew member. Guess it kind of depends on your pups. 200 pounds of puppy suddenly gravitating to the leeward rail would certainly be a serious problem for me!

I would be a little cautious about two 100 lb dogs in a Puffer. If one or both jumped out, you could have a tough time getting them back in under sail.
Hate to be a buzz kill, but the Puffer is pretty tender and you could find yourself swimming with your dogs if things went amiss.

Unreated. I met the designer of the Puffer, Fred Scott, many years ago in Skanateles. NY. Very nice guy.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I've lowballed the seller and will see what the response is. My plan is to go out into waist deep water and intentionally capsize and see how the pups do. They have life jackets and love the water. The issue is NOT capsizing again, getting them back in. Will probably for sure work with one dawg at a time.
Yeah....the Puffer looks to have a pretty low freeboard, but the internet is telling me it's a tad more stable than the Sunfish. Any rate, might be a good addition to the Sunfish. I need a BIGfish….but they're impossible to find for sale.

Attachments

• 20170817_182809.jpg
    20170817_182809.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • 20170812_154014.jpg
    20170812_154014.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
It has been a while, but I used to live on Maryland's Eaten Shore, where there is a lot of duck hunting. They used Jon boats and had their dogs retrieve the birds. In order to get the dogs baçk into the boat there was some kind of ramp thing that the dogs climbed back in on. I can't recall the specifics, so I guess I will have to google it.

yeah....maybe a flying scot or similar might be in order.. couple of Y-flyers available too. They're pretty stable.

I just bought the puffer with trailer for $450. Will see and should easily be able to sell at that price or more if it isn't a desired purchase. I see some y-flyers for sale...but I think you really need crew over 15 kts...which I don't have usually. $600 for those. Seems like a good price though.

Flying Scot is a great lake sailboat, but I don't think you're going to get one for $600. :rolleyes:

I see two for sale now for $600 with trailer. Fiberglass 70s era. Faded decks but all parts. 175 miles away. Will see how Puffer does soon

Here's the puffer. All parts there, needs some TLC, and price was low.

Attachments

• 20180623_183958.jpg
    20180623_183958.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 34
If you can find a good Flying Scot for $600 grab it. In my experience a 12 foot dingy is
good for 1 adult or 2 kids. I've done 2 or 3 adults but they get in the way of the jib and
the 12 foot dingy is very weight sensitive. Puffers, Oday Sprites are very good boats for
teaching kids to sail and on a calm day with one adult you can have a very relaxing sail.
What did not work for me is they are very slow and if you have a very large lake you're
going to spend a hour or more tacking back to you launch point. Enjoy the Puffer and
map out the limits of its sailing ability. The experience will be valuable.

Understand tacking back to launch point....why I typically try to use one that will be downwind at the end of the day. My puffer came with a pair of oars too....so....small coves, sans mast for swimming??

Back