Publications

biomatt

Can anyone direct me to links on sunfish magazines or publications? I have recently purchased a knock-off brand and would like to know more about the sport. While I never plan on racing, I would like to know as much as I can about the boat and the “happenings” of those who also sail these little fun boats.

Also has anyone done or know of anyone who has made longer journeys in one of these crafts, I think it would be fun to sail down the coast of Michigan from like Holland to South Haven – appox 50 miles. And maybe one day take a longer cruise up the coast north some where.. Is this a common joy or is this boat meant purely for smaller lakes and just general fun..

Thank, Matt

There are people using them for trips with various modifications. I think the number one concern is making sure your Sunfish is dry and watertight for extended use. This may involve some time and money. The risk of not doing this is finding yourself in the middle of nowhere with a "decks awash" condition. A Sunfish hull full of water will be much to heavy to pull up on a beach to try and drain.

I was considering some trips myself, one of the first modifications I'd do is install some Sailfish type rails along both sides of the deck to tie camping gear down.

Sunfish hull is pretty thin skin fiberglass, mast tube is also not always secured well to bottom inside of hull. Consider installing a inspection port so you can strengthen the mast tube. Also consider how you are going to patch the hull, "on the fly" if you puncture it on some rocks or snags.

Can anyone direct me to links on sunfish magazines or publications?
Sounds like you might have gotten your hands on a Porpoise, since according to Shorty Pen ( http://www.shortypen.com/brdboat ), Holland was where that boat originated and the lions share of remaining boats are concentrated in the vicinity of southern Mich.

As far as a handbook on sailing the lateen rig, Will White’s, The Sunfish Bible ($30 from boating suppliers) is probably the most extensive text around. The Sunfish (racing) Class ( http://www.sunfishclass.org ) publishes a newsletter, The Windward Leg a couple of times a year. I believe in order to receive it you’ll need to join the organization - $30 annually. I understand lots of non-racers join just for the information. There are a couple of introductory guides to sailing a Sunfish, now out of print, but still available, Sail Ho and Learn to Sail a Sunfish in 3 Days. I have seen copies of Sail Ho on Amazon.com for around $10, Learn in 3 Days can be found in the Marine Brochures Section of MSOG ( http://www.msogphotosite.com ) and at Sunfish Sailors ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor ). Look around your area for boating clubs who hold fun races open to all boats. There’s a lot to be gained from sailing with others.

Sunfish and Sunfish-like boats have been taken on some extensive journeys. Here’s one you may find interesting from the Small Boat Journal article, New Orleans to Main ( http://www.shortypen.com/essays/bbc/page1.htm )

Sunfish hull is pretty thin skin fiberglass, mast tube is also not always secured well to bottom inside of hull.
I beg to differ with this opinion, at least for Sunfish. With over a quarter of a million boats produced – more than any other sailboat – and based on the reports here and at other help sites, the incidence of problems in this area is infinitesimally small and more often than not a result of abuse or neglect rather than poor quality. The Sunfish is built to be lightweight yet strong in the same manner as all quality beach craft – Hobie, Laser, Optimist, Force 5, and many more. You need to know your boat and its particular condition, but at the same time there’s no call for unfounded paranoia.

Sunfish is fine for recreational sailing as that's what it was intended for. My concerns are using it for extended open water sailing. I live next to Lake Michigan so I understand how the weather conditions can completely change in 30 minutes. The Lake can go from light chop to 6 foot waves in less than a half hour, that's not paranoia.

I know how the mast tube is fixed and I'll stick by my origingal claim. It's fine for it's intended use, light to moderate winds. It's not however anywhere near the strength of a wooden boat where the mast is step is part of the daggerboard trunk. I'll admit that the quality of construction varies year by year and boat by boat. I have a 1971 and I would rate the quality of the mast tub to hull as only fair. The method of mounting as fair minus. If I were making my boat into a camping cruser I would strengthen it.

Hey, Biomatt, mind if I tag along sometime. Almost got my Sunfish done, just a little more fiberglass work to go.

My concerns are using it for extended open water sailing.
Check out Sunfish sailing clubs around all three coasts. Hundreds and hundreds of Sunfish sailing open water for fun, practice, and competitions.

I’ve gone Sunfish beach camping and all I do is pack a river runner’s water tight duffel with pretty much the same gear I take backpacking. The duffel fits right between mast and splash guard and can hold enough gear and food for a week without resupply, about 80 lbs total. I respect the boat’s normal capabilities and the weather the same way I do for all day long sails whether it be for pleasure or a weekend regatta. I don’t sail any further offshore than my usual daysailing takes me, maybe a mile or so at most. The day race around Long Island probably tests boats more than one of my weekend jaunts along the Pacific shores. Sailing with gear is no more stressful on the boat than a father and son sailing day, maybe even less since the duffel can’t hike out. Seems your perception of this activity and mine are very far apart.

Wow, I really striked up a debate about trips.. Let me clarify just a bit – when I talk about trips, I mean a trip of staying within 600 ft of shoreline not crossing the great lake of Michigan to WI or anything crazy like that with out a support boat. This is more so for safety, where I could swim to shore if something did go wrong with the boat and call for a ride home.. LOL

Thanks for all the great comments and links to articles, I would love to see some more.

Matt

Check out Sunfish sailing clubs around all three coasts. Hundreds and hundreds of Sunfish sailing open water for fun, practice, and competitions.

I’ve gone Sunfish beach camping and all I do is pack a river runner’s water tight duffel with pretty much the same gear I take backpacking. The duffel fits right between mast and splash guard and can hold enough gear and food for a week without resupply, about 80 lbs total. I respect the boat’s normal capabilities and the weather the same way I do for all day long sails whether it be for pleasure or a weekend regatta. I don’t sail any further offshore than my usual daysailing takes me, maybe a mile or so at most. The day race around Long Island probably tests boats more than one of my weekend jaunts along the Pacific shores. Sailing with gear is no more stressful on the boat than a father and son sailing day, maybe even less since the duffel can’t hike out. Seems your perception of this activity and mine are very far apart.

That's because of the different locations we live in. I live on the East side of lake Michigan. Weather systems form on the west side and blow over the lake quickly. You can have calm weather one minute and 30 minutes later the lake has 6 foot waves. It's not uncommon for 40 footers to get caught out and have a hard time of it. I think a lot of it is knowing ahead of time which parts of the shore are ok to run to and which are no-go areas.

Not to be dramatic but a warning for the kids. (Is the Sunfish forum 13 and up?)
***This trip is dangerous. Trying it in your Sunfish could cause death***.

Westport, Ma to Nantucket Island open water trip.
3.5 hours x 4 MPH= 14 miles? I am not recommending this trip, but it was an interesting read.
http://zombiboat.blogspot.com/2006/07/other-boat-demise-thereof.html#links

I do not know the blogger but the red line is a guestimate of his route:
Picture1.png

Back