Proud new Sunfish'er

haddock

Hi everyone, a quick hello/intro from me, a first-time boat owner of a new (to me) Sunfish. She's an 05' Vanguard, previously sailed in fresh water only; a bit more salty now :cool:

Grew up spending my summers learning how to sail in C420s, and the occasional Opti. Was lucky enough in my teenage years to crew in a 40' C&C over four days of racing. Always wanted a boat to call my own, but have been a landlubber for a little over 10 years (with the exception of power boating on other peoples' units). Having loads of fun already, and feel tremendously lucky that a Sunfish is what I bought - it's phenomenally simple, effective, and (as this forum's proved to me already) has an excellent community surround it.

Below are a couple pictures of my unit, just dried out after 3+ hours in 21kn gusts, an escaped death roll, and hose down :D
(bought er' with the dagger board in this condition... will need to address that... :eek:)
IMG_0196.jpegIMG_0198.jpegIMG_0195.jpeg

PS - regarding my tel tales, have I properly interpreted "I put telltales on my Sunfish sail this year, and if I had it to do over, I would put one pair about 8 to 10 inches below, and about 6 to 10 inches behind the Sunfish emblem on both sides of the sail. I would only put on one pair" ?

Yes, this can be fixed. You don't need super special skills to do it. It would be nice to have a template because such a large piece is missing.
If you don't have the materials, I guess they (epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth etc.) would cost you about $50 (roughly). Therefore, buying the Intensity board isn't a bad idea.

PS: Usually it's the front corner of the board that gets damaged.

Yes, this can be fixed. You don't need super special skills to do it. It would be nice to have a template because such a large piece is missing.
If you don't have the materials, I guess they (epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth etc.) would cost you about $50 (roughly). Therefore, buying the Intensity board isn't a bad idea.

PS: Usually it's the front corner of the board that gets damaged.
Great point here, thank you!
I factored-in buying a new board when I bought the boat (last weekend!). Did a quick search for Sunfish daggerboards once I realized how bad the board is, but thought a new one'd clock in around $4-500; quite sure that quote was on sunfishdirect.com, didn't know Intensity would be so much cheaper. Thinking I'll try my hand at repairing the current one during the winter months

Keep the old one as a spare? I believe the current Intensity boards aren't foam core and stronger and in general easier to repair.

Keep the old one as a spare? I believe the current Intensity boards aren't foam core and stronger and in general easier to repair.
That's right on, will buy a new one, and keep the current as a spare / repair practice opportunity!
Good to know the above about Intensity boards, this Sunfish has migrated from a freshwater lake to mouth of a river on the Atlantic :D

That's right on, will buy a new one, and keep the current as a spare / repair practice opportunity!
Good to know the above about Intensity boards, this Sunfish has migrated from a freshwater lake to mouth of a river on the Atlantic :D

Are you in Nova Scotia? I see your location is NS.

Glad you got a Sunfish. I don’t think there are a lot in Canada. I think the location of your sail and gooseneck could use some tweaking for more manageability. Scroll down this thread to Signal Charlie’s reco Sail and Setup

Once you are comfortable with that setting you might try moving the gooseneck to 19 inches or so and the halyard another 6 inches UP the top spar and see what you think. All leave the metric conversions to you!

Glad you got a Sunfish. I don’t think there are a lot in Canada. I think the location of your sail and gooseneck could use some tweaking for more manageability. Scroll down this thread to Signal Charlie’s reco Sail and Setup

Once you are comfortable with that setting you might try moving the gooseneck to 19 inches or so and the halyard another 6 inches UP the top spar and see what you think. All leave the metric conversions to you!
Thank you, as am I :D. I will put the above into action, and let you know how it goes!
Us Canadians are strange... while we better understand temperature in Celsius, we better understand distances in inches/feet/yards and weight in pounds; so no conversions on this one!

Back