Pros Vs. Cons for Inspection Port

M. Smith Jr.

I'm trying to get a little info and some opinions on inspection ports. I was thinking about installing one, or two on my sunfish. My idea was to install one on the stern in between the tiller and the cockpit to help air out the hull, and install another around the cockpit someplace and maybe put a cupholder or "fat bag" in that one.

Any opinions on inspection ports or recommendations on the placement of them?

Thanks,
Michael

For the most part, inspection ports are a good thing as they allow you to check for water in the interior and allow you to keep the interior dry. I like a small port (4" dia.) on the rear deck about 2" forward of the stern centered under the tiller (or off to one side if you have the old style rudder hardware on the deck) and another 6" dia. port centered between the forward end of the daggerboard trunk and the inner "v" of the splashrail; this location will give you access to the mast step and the daggerboard trunk, two common leak area and allow air to circulate inside the hull and exit through the smaller port in the stern. A 6" duct fan ($17 at Home Depot) will
circulate air faster and dry the interior over a matter of weeks or longer.

Alan Glos

Two ports are good if your fish has to loose a lot of weight. A port near the stern is required if you want to update the rudder set up. But if all you want to do is 'air out' the hull, one port between the daggerboard slot and the splash guard is fine. If you anticipate working on the mast step/tube, you will need to put the port closer to the mast hole so that you can reach the area to be repaired.

Some people will put a port even in a brand new boat, others don't.

Two ports are good if your fish has to loose a lot of weight. A port near the stern is required if you want to update the rudder set up. But if all you want to do is 'air out' the hull, one port between the daggerboard slot and the splash guard is fine. If you anticipate working on the mast step/tube, you will need to put the port closer to the mast hole so that you can reach the area to be repaired.

Some people will put a port even in a brand new boat, others don't.
For the most part, inspection ports are a good thing as they allow you to check for water in the interior and allow you to keep the interior dry. I like a small port (4" dia.) on the rear deck about 2" forward of the stern centered under the tiller (or off to one side if you have the old style rudder hardware on the deck) and another 6" dia. port centered between the forward end of the daggerboard trunk and the inner "v" of the splashrail; this location will give you access to the mast step and the daggerboard trunk, two common leak area and allow air to circulate inside the hull and exit through the smaller port in the stern. A 6" duct fan ($17 at Home Depot) will
circulate air faster and dry the interior over a matter of weeks or longer.

Alan Glos

Wavedancer and Alan,

Thanks so much for your help. I think what I'm going to do is put a 4inch or 5inch on the starboard side stern and a larger 6inch in between the coaming and the daggerboard slot.

Your posts are very helpful to a new sailer and boat owner.

Michael

Back