Class Politics Propulsion and Rules Question

Deimos

One question about the rules regarding propulsion: If you want to slow down, is it legal to put your foot over the side and drag it in the water ? I had always assumed it was not legal, but then I thought that it is legal to get out and stand on the bottom holding the boat (effectively anchoring), so maybe dragging your foot is legal.

(I assume "anchoring" is legal as we occasionally did it in larger boats - light wings sailing into a tide that was too strong and it was definitely legal then).

This is an academic question, not related to any protests, I have not seen anybody doing it and have not done it myself. I appreciate there are often better/other ways to slow down.

Ian

Re: Propulsion and Rules Question - Foot over the side

LEGAL - Foot over the side to slow down is legal. Standing up to create more windage is legal. There are no restrictions re body position when racing.

"Rule 42 Propulsion
42.1: Except when permitted in rule 42.2 or 45, a boat shall compete by using only to wind and water to increase, maintain or decrease her speed. Her crew may adjust the trim of sails and hull and perform other acts of seamanship , but not otherwise move their bodies to propel the boat."

I've discussed this with several IJ's, they informed me it's illegal to use you leg to slow the boat up.

I may be wrong but I interpret the above to mean that you cannot use your leg to slow the boat down but there is nothing to prohibit you racing with your leg in the water if you were crazy enough to want to do this!!!

This leads to other related questions:-

What is the situation when hiking hard and during a lull the top half of the helmsman's body goes into the water which quickly slows the boat down?

What is the situation when a boat capsizes in shallow fast flowing water and the helmsman stands on the bottom to eliminate drift, sorts everything out, climbs back in and resumes sailing?

I presume that if it can be proved that advantage was gained then the above actions are illegal otherwise they are legal???

There is a proposal to amend rule 42 to allow dragging one or more limbs for any purpose provided that the subject limbs must be "builder supplied." Harken is developing prototypes, but they're expected to be very expensive. Intensity has teamed up with a manikin distributor and is already shipping knock-offs, but you should check with your local fleet before sailing with them. :p

I may be wrong but I interpret the above to mean that you cannot use your leg to slow the boat down but there is nothing to prohibit you racing with your leg in the water if you were crazy enough to want to do this!!!

This leads to other related questions:-

What is the situation when hiking hard and during a lull the top half of the helmsman's body goes into the water which quickly slows the boat down?

What is the situation when a boat capsizes in shallow fast flowing water and the helmsman stands on the bottom to eliminate drift, sorts everything out, climbs back in and resumes sailing?

I presume that if it can be proved that advantage was gained then the above actions are illegal otherwise they are legal???

all of your related situations are the results that come about from the actions of sailing. i think putting a leg or even your hand into the water deliberately to slow yourself is not legal. just like it would not be legal to paddle or kick your boat to move it faster.

I don't think it would provide any performance gain to stick your foot in the water, so it should be legal. You are permitted to anchor in order to prevent drifting too far backwards, but your anchor/line can be ruled OCS.

The legal / illegal decision is based upon whether teh dragging foot is used to "compete."

if your foot were dipped in the water to let someone pass on a reach, you would not be competing.

if your foot were dragged so someone could catch up and you would therefore begin a better more fun contest...you would be fouling.

More seriously...if you were dragging a limb to slow your boat to get a better starting position ...illegal

dragging a foot to slow and take a person's transom to achieve a better rounding?? Illegal.

dragging your foot to cool off?? legal.

dragging because you are bored? legal

unless that cooling off were being done to freshen yopurself so you could do better.

Further...If you were having a contest while racing to see who could touch the bottom first?? that's a competition and therefore not legal.

If you were trying to get the wettest shoes?? Illegal

...Impress a girl and swipe her from a fellow suitor>> Illegal.

I obviously need more sleep

Back