Class Politics Proposed rule changes for 2009

SFBayLaser

The proposed Laser Class rule changes for 2009, along with a paper ballot, are presented in the March issue of Laser World on page 5. You can view a copy online at ILCA's Issuu site, or download a pdf copy. I'll post the link to the online ballot as soon as I find it...

What exactly is restricted by:

Rule 26 Repairs and maintenance​
Add new rule: 26(f):​
The use of lubricants is unrestricted except that they shall not be used on the hull (below the gunwhales).​
EXPLANATION: The inclusion of specific wording removes any doubt about legality.

Does this make the application of McLube to the hull illegal?

What exactly is restricted by:

Rule 26 Repairs and maintenance​
Add new rule: 26(f):​
The use of lubricants is unrestricted except that they shall not be used on the hull (below the gunwhales).​
EXPLANATION: The inclusion of specific wording removes any doubt about legality.

Does this make the application of McLube to the hull illegal?

McLube is actually teflon that is in liquid form, but drys. I guess you can consider it a "dry" lubricant? Actually, I think it is advertised as a lubricant. I use it on my spars, blocks and sail.

Under the usual strick policy of our class rules I would say it is illegal. This is a good question.

I ask because wasn't there a rule change last year that allowed for the application of lubricants to the spars to allow the sail to slide better? I recollect something about the clew.

Is there going to be a definition in the rules of "lubricant"?

I ask because wasn't there a rule change last year that allowed for the application of lubricants to the spars to allow the sail to slide better? I recollect something about the clew.

Is there going to be a definition in the rules of "lubricant"?

Rule 19b allows lubricant of the spar cavity. The rule change put in last year allowed the taping of the mast sections to prevent rotation.

McLube is actually teflon that is in liquid form, but drys. I guess you can consider it a "dry" lubricant? Actually, I think it is advertised as a lubricant. I use it on my spars, blocks and sail.

Under the usual strick policy of our class rules I would say it is illegal. This is a good question.

Yah it says dry lubricant on the bottle.

One of our measures says it's illegal which is why the rule is up for a vote.
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=55870&postcount=16

Re-finishing of the hull has always been illegal, whether as a lubricant or polish. The only things you can do to the hull are 1, repair damage. 2, clean it (with something that does not leave a residue).

This change is to allow the clew tie down and the loops around the boom for the XD outhaul to be lubricated

Re-finishing of the hull has always been illegal, whether as a lubricant or polish. The only things you can do to the hull are 1, repair damage. 2, clean it (with something that does not leave a residue).

This change is to allow the clew tie down and the loops around the boom for the XD outhaul to be lubricated

I think you are confusing re-fairing with polishing/waxing..

From the Class Rules:
11. HULL FINISH
(a) Waxing, polishing and fine wet and dry sanding
of the hull is permitted, provided the intention and
effect is to polish the hull only. Polishing/sanding
shall not be used to remove mould imperfections

"Mold imperfections" has a clear definition in my world.

In fact it is clear enough that I do not understand what the rule means.

Translation:

Mould imperfections are removed by working on the mould.

There isn't anything I can do to my Laser to remove imperfectiuons on a mould that is in a factory 2500 miles from my boat.

Further explanation:

if the mould imperfection is a scratch in that mould and the meaning of "mould imperfections" is lumps left on the surface of my boat by gouges in the mould in which it was created, I find that removing those lumps is an absurd restriction.

In fact, if I were to meaure a group of five Lasers and none of the rest of those Lasers has that particular lump, mine would be an illegal boat.

Obviously removing that particular form of flaw left by an imperfect mold would make my boat more one design than leaving that lump...

so if "mould imperfections" was intended to mean lumps on boats left behind from poorly maintained moulds...I believe the rule is assinine.

Finally:

I have been around a lopng time and have read lots of old Laser class publications. The hull refinishing issue has been raised before.

I think the INTENTION of the rule was to restrict owners from modifying the shapes of their respective Lasers from the original shape which, according to some design freaks, is sightly imperfect.

Unfortunatly, NOBODY knows what the rule means and it is useless.

Actually I think the rule is pretty simple and easy to understand. However, Rule 11(a) is in part redundant because of changes in Rule 11(b).

If you look through the old handbooks you'll see the evolution of Rule 11. Prior to 1998, Rule 11(b) stated "Complete sanding and refinishing of the hull with the intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the performance, finish or shape beyond the original is not permitted, but nothing shall prohibit the repainting of a hull which required refinishing. Rule 11(b) is currently states "Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the performance, finish, materials or shape beyond the original is not permitted." However, Rule 11(a) remains unchanged since before 1993 (oldest Handbook I have on my shelf).

While the first part of Rule 11(a) is fairly clear, i.e. you are permitted to polish your boat. The second part of the rule restricts you from trying to fair sections of the hull. Really the second part of the rule is now redundant because of the changes in 11(b). The old Rule 11(b) said the complete sanding and refinishing, while the second part of Rule 11(a) restricted you from fairing sections of the hull. In part the new Rule 11(b) restricts you from fairing the hull, either a section of it or the complete hull.

It was rule 11b I was thinking of and particually the section 'improve the performance, finish, materials or shape beyond the original is not permitted.' I always understood this to mean you couldn't use waxes, polishes or lubricants that stayed on the hull and made it more slippery.

It was rule 11b I was thinking of and particually the section 'improve the performance, finish, materials or shape beyond the original is not permitted.' I always understood this to mean you couldn't use waxes, polishes or lubricants that stayed on the hull and made it more slippery.

You've misunderstood the rule. Waxes and polishes are allowed. Any kind of product/substance applied to the hull that "sluffs off" while it is in the water like a soap or something of that nature is not allowed.

A wax or polish is simply a maintenance product to keep the hull near it's "as new" finish which is allowed. Also, you can sand the hull to remove minor scratches and fill scratches as long as the intention is to restore the hull to it's "as new" finish.

There's long been a debate that wax applied to the hull is not faster. I've been a follower of that for years and have never waxed my hull. I just wash it and fill or sand or touch up paint ANY scratches that it picks up. It's smooth as a baby's butt.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, all proposed changes are sensible, if not positive, and I am voting in favor of them.

Please vote as well; relatively few do. It's easier than complaining about certain issues on this forum (or Sailing Anarchy :eek:).

Back