Probly been discussed already but....Hyde or North

Laughing_Jakal

Hyde or North.....gut instinct tells em you get what you pay for and a UK sail built at a loft vs Sri Lankan sweat shop will get the nod, but wanted to make sure I wasn't just biased.

Personally, I find the sails made at the sweat shops to be faster. Not that I think your question is biased or anything ;-)

But seriously, if you type +hyde +north into the "search" function you'll get THREE FULL pages of listings of threads, at least half of which are dedicated to this topic.

Note that the oldest threads tend to be the ones most worth reading, and the newer ones, tend to be more like this one, with folks directing other folks to the search function.

Hyde's website says that they moved their manufacturing facilities to Cebu, Phillipines in the year 2000. What makes their facility a loft and North's a sweatshop?

Hyde or North.....gut instinct tells em you get what you pay for and a UK sail built at a loft vs Sri Lankan sweat shop will get the nod, but wanted to make sure I wasn't just biased.

They are identical and both made in offshore countries. Believe it or not the condtions at the Sri-Lanka loft are pretty decent. Search the North Sails website for some history and pictures.

They are identical and both made in offshore countries. Believe it or not the condtions at the Sri-Lanka loft are pretty decent. Search the North Sails website for some history and pictures.

Scott, aren't they also both made from the same cloth?

I had heard once upon a time that both companies used the same cloth, any opinion Scott?

No, Hyde uses cloth from Contender, North uses their own

If you trace the actual source of the cloth I think you will find it does indeed come from the same place...I would also guess within 1-2 years North will no longer be supplying Laser sails. The only reason they started to is they were partners with Peter Johnstone in Sunfish Laser Inc that sold to Vanguard. I would imagine our new UK friends have a pretty tight relationship with Hyde....

The above info from The Boathouse about the source of the cloth is incorrect. North weaves their own cloth, Hyde buys cloth woven by Contender. (this is why the two sails "feel" different when people say the Hyde sail feel stiffer)

The weaving is done in different countries as well.

I still want to believe that the cloth all comes from one single source, it helps me sleep better and beleive that the sails are in fact the same, the way the Laser model says they are.

But in reality, we're still probably living in a web of lies

But in reality, we're still probably living in a web of lies[/QUOTE]

You're a step ahead of the game. I didn't figure this out until I was about 26.

I find that the sails made by Sri Lankan sweat shops are slightly faster until I capsize...maybe it has something about all the dried sweat making the sails stiffer.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THIS FORUM USER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF ARMS, LEGS OR BRAIN CELLS, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO THE USE OF INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS POST.

I find that the sails made by Sri Lankan sweat shops are slightly faster until I capsize...maybe it has something about all the dried sweat making the sails stiffer.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THIS FORUM USER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF ARMS, LEGS OR BRAIN CELLS, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO THE USE OF INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS POST.

We are not responsible for stinky sails, either.

I still want to believe that the cloth all comes from one single source, it helps me sleep better and beleive that the sails are in fact the same, the way the Laser model says they are.

But in reality, we're still probably living in a web of lies

There are things worth losing sleep over... but I'm not sure the list should include the source of cloth for Laser sails...

49208 is correct... North produces its own cloth, Hyde gets its cloth from contender. Both manufacturers produce the cloth according to the specifications in the LCM, so it is the "same" within LCM tolerances.

However, Boathouse is not wrong either... I believe that Dimension Polyant produces the cloth for Radial sails, exclusively.

There are things worth losing sleep over... but I'm not sure the list should include the source of cloth for Laser sails...

49208 is correct... North produces its own cloth, Hyde gets its cloth from contender. Both manufacturers produce the cloth according to the specifications in the LCM, so it is the "same" within LCM tolerances.

However, Boathouse is not wrong either... I believe that Dimension Polyant produces the cloth for Radial sails, exclusively.

so technically, everyone was right, thats a first!:D

Back