Price adjustment

norcalsail

Last summer, I bought this Sunfish new and though I have since seen other boats I like (Lasers), it's probably the best choice for me. I registered it, received the pink slip and I also insured it on my AAA policy, you know, in case it goes bouncing down the highway.
I noticed that the place I bought it had raised the price almost a thousand dollars. Glad I bought it when I did. Does anyone know why the price would go up so much? No big deal, I'm just curious...

The price went from $4,220 to $5,170 which seems like a heck of a mark up in six months. I'm no economist but I thought something might be affecting it beyond simple supply and demand. Maybe just new tariffs? I'm not sure about other U.S.
based dealers. I suppose it could just be the place I bought from or a lack of supply on the west coast.

This is good news for those of us who "refurbish" older Sunfish—and good news for present owners as well. :)

• There was a "drought" of Sunfish during the transition to China-made Sunfish, so simple supply and demand is likely a factor. In support of your observation, dealers may be running out of the latest Sunfish shipped from China. :oops:

• Maybe during Black Friday (and Cyber-week), dealers can offer 20% drop in price? :rolleyes:

• With "everything made in China", you'd expect such pricing would be everywhere, but this "Cyber-week" sales set records:
Cyber Monday sales break a record, with $7.9 billion spent online, Adobe Analytics says

I just checked Sunfishdirect.com, where a new boat, complete, is listed at $3,746. After taxes, shipping, etc it probably comes out to about what you paid, Norcalsail. Can’t imagine how they can justify the extreme price hike at the place where you purchased.

Wasn't there rumors floating around that Laser Performance was making some new Sunfish in England? Maybe the China production experiment hasn't panned out, and they've moved the molds back to England for better quality control, but also higher pricing?

I just checked Sunfishdirect.com, where a new boat, complete, is listed at $3,746. After taxes, shipping, etc it probably comes out to about what you paid, Norcalsail. Can’t imagine how they can justify the extreme price hike at the place where you purchased.

Their site is confusing. That price does not include a sail! Add $335 for sail. The price also does not include a rudder or daggerboard!! Add $575 for wood or $810 for glass. Plus add whatever they charge for shipping.

I saw some talk somewhere, maybe on Facebook, that about half the charters available at the recently held Worlds were made in China and half were UK built.

I had been wondering because I was able to insure the boat for the price at which I purchased it and that price had gone up. Doubt that will ever be a problem and my insurance is $30 a year. On one of my first trips, I was just about home and stopped to let some people walk across a busy street and the guy behind me wasn't paying attention and got close to rear ending me, thus the insurance. The big thing is my ability to replace the hull if needed.

The data given in this thread are confusing because there are two versions of our Sunfish.
The more expensive one (Sunfish Race) is listed for $4750 at the LP website; the regular' Sunfish currently lists for $4495.
When I bought my Sunfish ( a decade ago!), the list prices were 'negotiable' to a certain extent. For instance, I got a number of goodies (covers etc.) 'thrown in' for free.

PS: In those good old (Vanguard) days, freight was included, at least at APS where I bought mine (or maybe it was part of the freebies).

Mine came with the fiberglass dagger board and rudder but the "race' version was a few hundred more if I remember correctly.

Back