Preventing a Waterlogged Hull

Papra

I took my sunfish that I bought used earlier this year out for the first time two weekends ago and had a blast. When I got home, I noticed some water sloshing around the hull. I’m not sure if it was there before I went out or not (I think not) but I made use of the drain plug near the splash guard. I’ll be searching for leaks later on (via shop vac and soapy water) but until anything I find gets fixed, I’m hoping that draining the hull every time I notice water inside will be enough to keep the hull from getting heavier and heavier. Fingers crossed, I’m not allowing damage to get worse if I keep going out but please let me know if it sounds like I am.

I’ve read a lot of very helpful posts about what to do with a heavy, waterlogged hull but what can one do to *prevent* a waterlogged hull?

until you find the leaks, draining it after each use is your best bet. heck, draining it after each use is just good practice anyway.

the heavy waterlogged hulls are I think normally due to neglect and long exposure to water (either through sailing, or exposure to the elements).

Have to agree with tag. Removing a bit of water (a few sponge fulls) after an outing is OK. But I would weigh the hull to see if it has absorbed a lot of water in its past life.
And do find out where the water is coming from!

Last edited:
I had thought it was pretty dry but realized later that I only had the seller's word on that (d'oh). I'll weigh this weekend and find out if their word was good!

So, to keep your hull from getting waterlogged:
- Drain after each use
- protect from elements
- [any additions?]

I would add, periodically air out the hull with inspection ports open and a small fan pulling the air through them.

I took my sunfish that I bought used earlier this year out for the first time two weekends ago and had a blast. When I got home, I noticed some water sloshing around the hull. I’m not sure if it was there before I went out or not (I think not) but I made use of the drain plug near the splash guard. I’ll be searching for leaks later on (via shop vac and soapy water) but until anything I find gets fixed, I’m hoping that draining the hull every time I notice water inside will be enough to keep the hull from getting heavier and heavier. Fingers crossed, I’m not allowing damage to get worse if I keep going out but please let me know if it sounds like I am.

I’ve read a lot of very helpful posts about what to do with a heavy, waterlogged hull but what can one do to *prevent* a waterlogged hull?
Use something less powerful than a shop vac! :eek:

Too much pressure can cause fiberglass damage. :confused:

Yes watch excess pressure ..dont need,much but you can "loose fit" the nozzle and decrease pressure that way as well.

Ah good -- "loose fit" is probably the best I'd muster anyway. I'll make sure not to over engineer it (as I'm wont to do!). Thanks for the warning!

Put a piece of tape over the bottom of the centerboard slot . When the boat is upright and air in going in draw a soap bubble over the centerboard slot and the mast tube.

Back