Prevent turtling with a sail float sleeve

Following up on the inflatable mast float I mentioned purchasing in a previous post... I haven't tipped the boat yet so I can't say how well it actually performs, but can comment on a couple of things:

- Once it is up, it looks ok and isn't all that intrusive. (helps that my sails are blue, yellow, and white)

- Getting it up the mast can be sorta difficult sometimes. It often gets caught on the spreaders and requires a couple tries to get it past them

- It is good quality, and it does LOOK like it would work just fine.

So far I'm convinced its a good lower cost alternative to a baby bob.
I am interested in learning more about the mast buoyancy float from APS. Do you have their website? How is yours working?
Thanks,
Bill

APS is out of the sailboat parts business. Now clothing only.

I would suggest the Intensity Sails Anti Turtle Mast Float. I use them in our junior program (C420's) and I think it's almost impossible to turtle with one. It's light (the worst place possible for weight on a boat is at the top of the mast) and easy to use only when needed.

Preventing turtling with a sail float sleeve refers to using a specific device or accessory to avoid capsizing or "turtling" of a sailboat. When a sailboat turtled, it means that it has completely overturned, with the mast and sails submerged underwater. This is a dangerous situation that can result in potential damage to the boat and pose risks to the crew's safety.

A sail float sleeve is a buoyant sleeve or device that is attached to the top of the sail, typically near the head of the mast. Its purpose is to add buoyancy to the sail and help keep the boat from capsizing in the event of strong winds or gusts.

APS is out of the sailboat parts business. Now clothing only.

I would suggest the Intensity Sails Anti Turtle Mast Float. I use them in our junior program (C420's) and I think it's almost impossible to turtle with one. It's light (the worst place possible for weight on a boat is at the top of the mast) and easy to use only when needed.
Intensity Sails no longer sells anti-turtle mast floats. Can anyone tell me what they looked like (ie was it a foam sleeve over the mainsail, an inflatable sleeve, or something attached to the masthead?). The Windesign inflatable sleeves is another possibility but some of the sales literature suggests they are only suitable for Opti-type boats, not 2-person boats like a 420. I am trying to find an anti-turtle device for our sailing school, which uses 420s. They currently tie a life jacket to the masthead.

There is a company called Sail la Vie out of Minnesota that manufactures and sells, a mass head sleeve for the Capri 14.2. I purchased one for the 1987 Capri that I keep at my lake house in Northwestern Wisconsin. Lake sailing in that part of the country means unexpected gusts from every direction. Touch wood, I have not capsized the boat in the two years I’ve owned it, so cannot comment on how effective, the sleeve is with respect to keeping the boat from turtling. The company claims it will perform as advertise. I’m sure I will find out at some point.

Back