preferred Sunfish parts supplier?

tag

my2fish
So, I was curious what is the preferred source of parts for your Sunfish? Specifically if you are buying them new - I know we have the wanted/for sale sections on this forum, and there is always ebay and/or craigslist. But, for new parts, where do you go?

I spent some time the other night comparing, and checked the following suppliers:

• Laser Performance, Sunfish Direct, APS, Layline Marine (at their respective websites)
  • and my local shop, the Sailboat Garage in Waterford, MI (printed catalog)
I found that for the majority of parts, they were all identical pricing, except that Layline Marine offered each part at a small discount to the others. I went into a little more detail in a blog post here.

Has anyone used Layline? Any thoughts on why they are the only one offering stuff at a discount?

The one major exception is that the Sailboat Garage offers the Tune-a-Fish kit for $106 (less than the $122.50 typical or $118.80 at Layline).

tag

I try to patronize my local dealer - I think it is important to have them in business. If they are out of business, I am going to have a heck of a time getting a new boat or a hard to ship item like a mast or spars from Layline, APS, etc.

I don't know why Layline prices differently, but the prices are always close, and for a few bucks more, I'd like my dealer to stay in business and hopefully make a living doing it.

BB

beldar,
agreed... I was just posting a similar reply to a comment from tillerman at my blog.

the Sailboat Garage is run by Terry & Peg Beadle - recognize those names? from my last phone call with Peg, it's really just a garage - they help run the Sunfish Class from their home, and have parts stocked up in their garage.

tag

So, I was curious what is the preferred source of parts for your Sunfish? Specifically if you are buying them new - I know we have the wanted/for sale sections on this forum, and there is always ebay and/or craigslist. But, for new parts, where do you go?

I spent some time the other night comparing, and checked the following suppliers:

• Laser Performance, Sunfish Direct, APS, Layline Marine (at their respective websites)
  • and my local shop, the Sailboat Garage in Waterford, MI (printed catalog)
I found that for the majority of parts, they were all identical pricing, except that Layline Marine offered each part at a small discount to the others. I went into a little more detail in a blog post here.

Has anyone used Layline? Any thoughts on why they are the only one offering stuff at a discount?

The one major exception is that the Sailboat Garage offers the Tune-a-Fish kit for $106 (less than the $122.50 typical or $118.80 at Layline).

tag
Congratulations..., you're now an official member of the dealer buyers club. Yup, we've observed dealer pricing to be pretty much fixed nationwide.

I always use my local shop first even if they're a little more expensive..., often less when you figure in shipping..., I like to have them around to consult.

I'll use mail order when my dealer is out of something and frankly admits they don't sell that many of xyz so they won't have more in until they make their next big order.

Can't explan Layline except to make an observation... a decade ago they were a real powerhouse in the small sailboat supply business. Their presence was way bigger than present day APS..., then their web presence shrank drastically ... the catalog looked just as impressive, but their on-line Sunfish (actually all Vanguard products) inventory seemed to be reduced by 50%. Where they once had great diagrams and help files, all of a sudden there was zilch. Don't know what happened ... shift of focus to the larger boats?? Might be lowering their margin on Sunfish stuff to promote inventory turns?? Still very knowledgeable and helpful on the phone or by email.

Parts for Sunfish that aren't included in the factory Sunfish parts list are up to the sailboat shop to price how ever they see fit.

I was just looking through ebay this evening. It looks to me like, for Sunfish at least, what with sail scalpers and knock-off parts being presented as OEM, that venue has gone from a place for bargains to a place to get fleeced.

my 2¢

My observations to date are that most of these online stores do not have a good number of their supposed Sunfish supplies in stock, and will need to go to Sunfish first in order to get the item. If you need something in a hurry, keep this in mind. Also, I've had very good luck with APS this summer - Sunfish parts have been in stock, and have gone right out that day, if not the next. The APS website also will tell you right then and there if the item is in stock, or is backordered.

I found out yesterday that West Marine waves the shipping charge if you pick up an online ordered item at one of their local stores. It's a longer wait - 8-10 days - but that saves a lot of money, especially on small items like a deck drain plug.

West Coast marine is nice and i got free shipping on my $30 hiking strap from them, i had to wait a week and a half since the part was out of stock but they threw in a hand full of free stickers..

i ordered my hiking strap fastners from Masthead Sailing and they shipped the order to me within 5 days..

i'd recommend both of them.

those are all the dealers i know...

West Coast marine is nice and i got free shipping on my $30 hiking strap from them, i had to wait a week and a half since the part was out of stock but they threw in a hand full of free stickers..

i ordered my hiking strap fastners from Masthead Sailing and they shipped the order to me within 5 days..

i'd recommend both of them.

those are all the dealers i know...

73sunfish,
West Coast Marine or West Marine?

I just talked to the nearest West Marine (probably a 45 min drive), and she said they don't stock very much Sunfish (or sailboat, for that matter) stuff, although I guess I could try the ship-to-store option... not sure it'd be worth the savings considering the drive. Plus, not sure it's worth anything, but the 1 review Google popped up for that store was pretty poor.

I saw your post the other day about Masthead Sailing - I'll check them out.

But, as several people mentioned, I think since cost for most of the items is so similar, I'll probably just order stuff from my local shop, the Sailboat Garage.

What kind of stickers? Sunfish ones? I've been meaning to ask where I can get some Sunfish stickers. Anyone else know?

PBA, I hope to order several things at once to avoid paying extra shipping. I guess you can't always do that, but I'm going to try that route.

tag

...I was just looking through ebay this evening. It looks to me like, for Sunfish at least, what with sail scalpers and knock-off parts being presented as OEM, that venue has gone from a place for bargains to a place to get fleeced.

my 2¢

Wayne,
For what it's worth, I'd already came to that conclusion about ebay. I'm glad someone else has found more verifiable proof, though. I think I prefer the way craigslist works - at least I'll know it's local, and I can inspect something prior to buying it.

I also had my ebay account compromised a year or so ago - some spammer hacked his way in and started sending spam messages to several auctions. I got several hate emails back full of colorful 4-letter words, and didn't have a clue what was going on. Ebay shut it down, and we reset it/took care of everything, but still makes me distrust ebay. (Might be unwarranted, but it is what it is!)

Plus, with the for sale and wanted section here, combined with craigslist, or just my local shop... I think I'll just avoid even checking ebay at all.

tag

Re: preferred Sunfish parts supplier/deck drain plugs

One problem with both retail stores, and the internet, is that you can't always get what you want.
With that in mind, here are a couple of nice drain plug options that I found out there, if anyone has an interest.

The Ronstan white and blue model in Link #1 has been posted up here before, but they've since discontinued the 1" version, and only offer essentially a 2" version as their smallest plug.

I like this chrome/plastic job in Link #2 that I found at APS/West Marine.

Anyway, an updated FYI on drain plug options....

Link #1: http://www.apsltd.com/c-105-RonstanScrew-InDrainPlug-White.aspx

Link #2: http://tinyurl.com/nljtrm

I just talked to the nearest West Marine and she said they don't stock very much Sunfish (or sailboat, for that matter) stuff
West Marine stopped being an official Sunfish dealer about 10 years ago, roughly the same time they merged with a couple of other national boating supply chains in some sort of move to become the Starbucks of boat parts. Now all they carry for Sunfish are aftermarket add-ons and general, non-Sunfish specific sailboat gear.

Before the acquisitions they were much more sailboat savvy ... still are at their California anchor stores. Other store locations no doubt cater to the popular boats of their region. They've also moved from having some of the greatest prices to being among the most high priced place to shop. Defender Marine has better pricing and availability in the general supply category. APS isn't too bad either, on the general equipment side of their store. ... you don't have to buy everything off the "official Sunfish" rack. Toilet seats and hammers on the "everybody else" side of the store are only $5.99.

I'll probably just order stuff from my local shop, the Sailboat Garage.
Heck, if that's your local supplier it's about the next best thing to living down the road from Laser Performance itself.
. . . you've also got Midwest Sailing in your general neck of the woods.
http://www.ms-pyc.com

What kind of stickers? Sunfish ones? I've been meaning to ask where I can get some Sunfish stickers. Anyone else know?
Did you ask at Sailboat Garage or check the Laser Performance on-line store, maybe even contact a LP sales rep.
http://shop.laserperformance.com/category_s/62.htm

I hope to order several things at once to avoid paying extra shipping. I guess you can't always do that, but I'm going to try that route.
I would not shop on-line where they will not consolidate orders to minimize shipping cost. That's an ebay slick seller / late-night-tv infomercial ploy to inflate prices.

WEST COAST SAILING>>>

i got a neat Ronstan sticker, Gill sticker and a bunch of West Coast Sailing stickers...

it was very nice of them and did i mention free shipping, they have an ad. here on the forums...
www.westcoastsailing.net

west marine is the the only sailing shop anywhere near me.. and their stock is very limited.. and $$$$

I made a small detour on my way home from vacation last week, to make a stop at Torresen Marine (also online at http://www.sunfishdirect.com/... one of the forum's sponsors). Honestly, I was pretty disappointed - they said that Laser Performance hasn't been keeping them stocked very well, but either way... not very impressed by what was there in stock. I blogged a bit more about it here: http://my2fish.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/torresen-marine/

Wayne - I know about Midwest Sailing, but it's about an hour or so drive one way, so I haven't found a reason to make the trip yet.

I plan to just use the local shop The Sailboat Garage for most if not all of my future purchases. They don't really have a storefront per se (since it's run out of the Beadle's garage), but they have always been really helpful on the phone.

tag

Yes, it appears LP is very slow in stocking everyone. I'm still waiting on parts...

With regard to my old thread, West Marine's service was very good, but wow, the other stuff inside the store was EXTREMELY pricey.

I can get the 14 oz. Marine-Tex kit for $28.99 at a local hardware store. Inside this local West Marine store, that exact same size kit was $46.99. Ouch.

I made a small detour on my way home from vacation last week, to make a stop at Torresen Marine (also online at http://www.sunfishdirect.com/... one of the forum's sponsors). Honestly, I was pretty disappointed - they said that Laser Performance hasn't been keeping them stocked very well, but either way... not very impressed by what was there in stock. I blogged a bit more about it here: http://my2fish.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/torresen-marine/

Pretty impressive news on this front - I got a personal email from a rep from Torresen Marine today. He apologized for my poor experience there, and offered a future discount to help make up for the bad vibes. Not sure if he saw my complaints here or at my blog, but I was very impressed to get a personal email - and after finding that most of the prices are the same at each Sunfish parts supplier, and it largely boils down to customer service, this certainly helps improve my opinion of them!

I posted the email message here:
http://my2fish.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/torresen-customer-service/

tag

I'll echo 73Sunfish's positive experience with West Coast Sailing. After emailing three Laser Performance dealers (unsuccessfully) to locate a bow tie down for my Seitech dolly, I gave them a call today. Incredibly friendly and helpful, and free shipping is standard. I love supporting local vendors when it's an option, but I don't have anyone in the immediate vicinity and these folks will get calls from me in the future.

Back