Preferences on rigging the daggerboard (disliking the Brummel Hooks).

Chauncy

I've only owned the boat a couple weeks so far but if there is one thing i am dying to change already it's the daggerboard rigging. The guy i bought it from had pretty much everything else setup nicely. But my wooden daggerboard has a long bungie that goes through the bow handle and back then clips together with those "Sister Hooks".

Except I can't get those friggin things to connect or disconnect in less than a minute. I really struggle to line the small gaps up, especially when the shock cord is under tension. I can probably lower or raise my sail completely and tie it off quicker than i can rig/derig the daggerboard.

I see some people have the small shock cord that goes around the mast instead and has a plastic hook that looks much easier for quick install and release.

Just wondering peoples preferences on this (not interested in the daggerboard material itself, that's a whole other discussion) :
  • What is the advantage or rigging through the bow handle vs. around the mast? Does one stay out of the way more if you have a vang rigged?
  • Why would someone want to use these Brummel Hooks as a connection method vs. something that might be quicker to connect/release?

Check out some Tactical Web Belt quick releases. They
make some quality buckles for serious use. People tend
to stick with what they are familiar with even if there
are better options.

I just use a j hook on one end and tie a loop on the other. I like going to the handle because the tension is more consistent with the board fully up or down. Plus I can sometimes squeeze a paddle, coiled line etc... Between the shock cord and the mast

Chauncy you are not rigging the bungee correctly. It supposed to go to the tack of the sail and fit in the joint of the two booms. That way when you hook it up it's not under tension. Then you stretch it to the joint in the booms.

Like BB wrote; that's how the racers rig the bungee.
Purpose: one can pull on the bungee, if necessary, to get the sail all the way out running downwind. You may have to adjust the length of the bungee to make this work properly. And yes, I do use sister hooks and they work just fine.

It supposed to go to the tack of the sail and fit in the joint of the two booms. That way when you hook it up it's not under tension. Then you stretch it to the joint in the booms.

So you're saying hook it to the tack FIRST...and then stretch it back to the dagger board and hook the shock cord together with the sister clips?? I thought main halyard tails were also used for the JC strap??

mixmkr, i'm glad you questioned it. I was almost going to ask if it was meant as a joke. :confused: But i guess apparently there is a 3rd way to rig it. Which shows how i know almost nothing.

I have used the Halyard for pulling the sail on a run already. I would think using the daggerboard cord for that might make it more complicated to change the gooseneck setting. But I've never actually adjusted the gooseneck, yet, so i shouldn't be questioning anything. I see I am going to learn a lot from this forum. :D

Why would someone want to use these Brummel Hooks as a connection method vs. something that might be quicker to connect/release?
Sister hooks (Brummel Hooks) are available in nylon or bronze.

Try a switch to the other one.

So you're saying hook it to the tack FIRST...and then stretch it back to the dagger board and hook the shock cord together with the sister clips?? I thought main halyard tails were also used for the JC strap??

Feed the bungee through the daggerboard handle and around the mast (one end of bungee around port side of mast, one around starboard.). Then hook it together. It shouldn't be under any tension. Then stretch it to the tack and it should now be under tension. So just put it in the joint between the booms and since it's under tension it will stay there.

Back