pre '72 rudder pin size

splash07s

Anyone know off hand what size the pre '72 rudder pin is. I am going to make one froma brass bolt at the hardware store but dont know what size I should get. I guess I could take the whole rudder with me but I am lazy and dont want to have to go home after I leave work and then back to town to the hardware store (should have planned a little better, I know).

I bought one of these pins at Ace Hardware for a couple of bucks and it works great. Just tied some twine to the ring and to the tensioner so I wouldn't lose it. I just measured it and I think it is 1/4" diameter, 3 1/2 inches long. Its worked great for the last 3 years.
DP4400_000.jpg

For about $3, you can buy a 1/4" stainless steel hex bolt and a nylon nut at any good hardware store. You can even tie on a light line as a retaining line. You can screw on the nut without tools and it fits snug enough that it won't back off when sailing. It should last for long after all of us are taking the long dirt nap.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

thanks guys got a good bolt yesterday and it works like a charm. Drilled a saftey hole in one end and am using a cotter pin to secure it. a light line is a good idea though so i dont lose another one.

1/4 inch diameter and 3 inches long. I know that they used to be secured to the hull with a keeper chain, I am wondering what the pros and cons are of attaching the keeper to the rudder?

Pro: If you trailer, I don't think I'd want the pin still attached to the boat. Also the rudder usually gets stored indoors, less corrosion potential for the pin if it stays with the rudder.

Cons?

Attachments

• keeper.JPG
    keeper.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 39

Back