Pre-1972 Internal Construction Question

Treetops

I purchased a pre-1972 Sunfish today. The hull was missing both the bow handle and the halyard cleat. Sounds like something substantial is sliding around under the deck. Does the bow handle and the cleat both have separate reinforcing blocks under the deck? What diameter inspection port is best installed into the deck to repair this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Yup, there are seperate wood blocks glued to the deck for the parts to be screwed into.
We normally go with a 4 inch port near the bow handle, and a 6" port between the dagger board hole and splash rail. Leave the ports out until you finish. The extra diameter of the holes helps your reach.

I just purchased and installed several six inch ports from Annapolis Performance Sailing apsltd.com. (Several Sunfish) I bought the Viking six inch white with clear port. They cost $11.74 each. I also bought the fat bag to install inside the port in front of the dagger board. I used stainless steel screw/bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts. As a caulk I used 3M 4200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant. It all works like a charm.

Back