PRACTICE beats PANIC!!

Zrtsixx

PRACTICE beats PANIC!!

With the season right around the corner, when the wind picks-up, I have started to get antsy to get out on the water. This last Sunday we had mid 70’s temp here in mid TN, with a wind out of the southwest around 12-15 mph. The lake surface temp is 52, which didn’t really scare me (In years past I was on the lake on my stand-up jet ski with ice on the lake!). I wore a short wetsuit and life jacket and went out and had a blast! I had been out over an hour when I made a turn and a gust took me just about over! I recovered, and kept sailing. Within 5 minutes, another gust caught me and I capsized. As I was going in to the water, I kept telling myself “Oh $#^&!! This is going to be cold!” As soon as I came up, I was headed to the boat to right it. Before I had the dagger board fully extended, it turned turtle! I righted it pretty fast… the sail was on the side the wind was coming from and it helped me right it. I was back up on the boat pretty quickly! I’m not sure how long I was in the water, but I think it was less than a minute... Needless to say I went straight in! I didn’t really feel cold until I got home.

When I bought the boat a year and a half ago I read all I could about it…. One was a brochure about learning to sail…. http://www.avonsailboats.com/pdf_files/learn3days.pdf It recommended taking the boat out on a calm day and capsizing it. I did it twice last year intentionally. I am really happy that I did!! I think I would have been able to right it without doing it before. Having practiced it before, I didn’t panic because I knew what to do and that it would work!

If you are new to sailing, I strongly suggest that you take your boat out on the water (when the water is WARM!) and capsize it. If you have been sailing a while and never capsized, practice it anyways!

Expect the unexpected!

Reactions: tag
Good Point Zrtsixx.

In the words of Capt'n Ron "The best way to find out Kitty is to get her out on the ocean. If anything is going to happen , it's going to happen out there!"

I agree, it's good to be prepared, but you should also be aware of your surroundings. I sometime sail on a small lake near my house. I avoid it when the wind is 10+ because it's a damned up spot in the river with very high banks on both sides. The wind can be very shifty and you can't always see the puffs coming. I usually keep two to three wraps of mainsheet around my hand so I can quickly ease the sail.
I haven't capsized a boat since I was 12 and that was only because my cousin was with me and wanted to do it intentionally. I told him if he wanted to go swimming, just jump off the boat and maybe I'll swing back around and pick you up. :)

Back