Powerboating?

What do you use on the water?

• Total voters

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
Do you do much power boating or are you strictly a sailor?

I live about 15 miles from a beach you can only reach by boat. Its a great destination for a few friends and a cooler of beer. I've actually sailed out there a few times but its a pretty long haul much better suited for a quick 30 minute boat ride.

I do most of my boating in a 17' CC Sailfish. Its a great boat and only draws about 6-8inches of water which is perfect for getting around the beaches and shallow creeks around here in Savannah. I'm looking forward to being able to get out on the water... Unfortunately, I've got a ton of work over the next two weeks that is going to prevent me from spending much time outdoors :(...

What is a power boat?

A power boat is a hole or more nautically a whirlpool that you throw money into.
This summer was my best so far for sailing. First of all I got out almost every day after work. And second of all when I am sailing my small sailboat I am out to either relax and have fun or enjoy the wonder that is sailtag. And one thing I cannot stand is that incessant rumble I hear sailing on cape cod bay. It's the motor boats. On the cape I see everything from jetskis to ciggarette boats butvery few of those drivers use their boats enough to think about how they should not go a mere 10 feet away from that small sailboat in front of them. But this summer their were few motor boats out. Perhaps it was the 3 dollar gas. But yippee I got peace this summer.

Don't get me wrong I am not completely apposed to motor boats but I do see little practicality to them.

I have a hatred for Jet Skis. What sort of sport is it? Start an engine,sit on something and go fast?? Wheres the skill? Whats the point, other than noise pollution?

The amount of times ive been going for a nice sail and its been ruined by wankers in Sea Doo's doing donuts around me!!:mad:

I wanted to mount a rocket launcher but its not class legal.
Die Sea Doo Die

Total agreement here. Their name says it all.

I have a hatred for Jet Skis. What sort of sport is it? Start an engine,sit on something and go fast?? Wheres the skill? Whats the point, other than noise pollution?

The amount of times ive been going for a nice sail and its been ruined by wankers in Sea Doo's doing donuts around me!!:mad:

I wanted to mount a rocket launcher but its not class legal.
Die Sea Doo Die

A priori, I don't hate anybody on the water. And I can see that personal watercraft (PWC) can be fun for some. The PWC industry has tried to clean up its image, set (safety) standards), etc., but there are some that don't follow the rules :eek:.
But that's not what this thread is all about.

PS: the only time I end up on a powerboat is when I do RC 'work'.

Some people just love being on the water, messing around in boats or enjoying the journey and exploring new places that you can only get to by boat.

Doesn't matter what type it is for me. My "other" in the poll is a floating dock, with a electric trolling motor that a friend has.

Yes, Jet Skis were loud, wave runner drivers always seem to be going in circles. They would probably say the same thing about us, watching a start or mark rounding..

Although I love sailing, I do a fair amount of powerboating, as I have yet be able to land a monster striper, fluke or blackfish while sailing my Laser. :p

I am with you Flusha, many atimes I wanted to mount a M-60 against the jetskis,
all they seem to do is terrorize us wind boaters.

Back