Possible Laser II purchase

cshelden

Hello,
I've been out of the sailing world for some time now, my last boat was a Force 5 in the late 80's. I've come across a Laser II, I know the owner well but havn't seen it yet. He says the sails are in excellent shape, and it has a Spinaker as well. No chute tube on this boat and he says it is a canadian built one. I don't have the serial # yet either. He says there are some soft spots on the deck but the hull is fine. I'd love some pointers here, on what to look for when I go look. I'm pretty well versed in sailboats, but wonder what are some things to watch out for and what would cause someone to run away fast from the boat. I'm not going to race this, maybe a beer can regatta or something but nothing else, mostly will be a fun boat for us.

Charlie
OKC, OK

Nobody races Laser Twos in Oklahoma but there is a sometimes good Laser fleet at OKCBC. Before you get that Laser two and invest in fixing it up, why not go visit the Boat Club and see if you can find yourself a cheap Laser and some new friends??
But If all you want to do is fly around the lake in the big breeze with a couple 100- 150 lb sailors on board...get that Laser Two. It is a blast!!!

Thanks for the info..again no racing here. I'll be lucky to get to the water 2 times a year. I did just figure out it is a 1982 model according to the sail #. I can pick this up for less than 1k. just need to know what to run from and what can be fixed. parts you can get etc...what about the hull that should be a major warning?

gouvernail said:
Nobody races Laser Twos in Oklahoma but there is a sometimes good Laser fleet at OKCBC. Before you get that Laser two and invest in fixing it up, why not go visit the Boat Club and see if you can find yourself a cheap Laser and some new friends??
But If all you want to do is fly around the lake in the big breeze with a couple 100- 150 lb sailors on board...get that Laser Two. It is a blast!!!

Back