position in boat

capt_capsize

I'm a beginning racer and I'm trying to improve my standings in my local club races (that means, I want to quit finishing dead last). More experienced racers have recommended that I change my position in (and on) the cockpit, particularly on windward legs of the race. In moderate winds, for example, they say I am too far back in the boat. But I have also read that as wind speeds increase, you should move farther back. I'm confused. Is it better to stay forward in moderate winds and hike out more or move farther back in an attempt to keep the boat flat? One caveat: on our lake, gusty winds make hiking a tricky proposition. We don't generally hang our butts over the rail for long periods since winds often die (and then hikers go swimming).

You should always stay foreward in the Laser, except when planing. If your boat has mainsheet cleats, put your foreward cheek close enough to that so they are touching even overlaping at times. From here you can still hike and thus, you should be able to keep the boat flat. I too sail on a small lake and puffs can be anoying. Hiking is a must in the laser, so you have to work on getting from the hiking position to your normal position quickly, it's just one of those things you have to get used to doing.

Back