Portstar

1BC66857-FD0D-4DC0-BFEE-4A1FBCFADF76.jpeg

Again from Instagram:

Good looking boat and I am liking the seating. Hate to be a traitor but I have become interested in the "Rocket." It looks simple and light, like the Sunfish but faster. There's a sail shop in Traverse Michigan, about a day's drive from our place in Wisconsin, that deals in them. I kind of want to throw my Cali-fish on my truck and drive out to Wisconsin this summer. My nephew is older and seems to want to sail, so it would be great to have the two boats there and maybe think about a "Rocket" for the future.
20200730_160901 (1).jpg
199774447_1955599917932555_8233113015696333519_n.jpg

If I was buying a brand new Sunfish-sized boat, it for sure would be a Rocket.
But honestly if I *was* going to buy a new sailboat, it’d probably be a RS Quest - much more comfortable for taking a couple people out on the water.

norcalsail: I believe that the Rocket can only be bought directly from the manufacturer.
There's a significant waitlist; the boat has attracted quite an audience!

The only issue I see with the Rocket is that there's no protection where the deck and hull meet. The edge is exposed and pretty sharp and it's not rolled like the edge of the current sunfish. I mentioned this to the builders but I don't know if they took my advice or not.

But honestly if I *was* going to buy a new sailboat, it’d probably be a RS Quest - much more comfortable for taking a couple people out on the water.
Hi Tag, I really like the RS Quest too. It's roomy but still not too big and the jib and spinnaker might be a lot of fun.

Reactions: tag
Quests, I look after 2 of them as club boats. No real problems, faulty toe strap stitching replaced by RS. Spi halyard cleats wear out really quick as halyard is pulled through them on hoist. I'm changing ours to spinlock ones.
Rudder fittings bolted to the boat, came loose but could not be tightened as the nuts had seized onto the bolts. Bolts broke and were replaced.
Boats are generally liked by all, but don't expect much zip and zing, they are rotos so feel floppy and saggy. Also heavy for their size. Make sure you get the mast head float or they tend to invert.
You can't get much rig tension on so jib luff sags, users try to stop this by tightening the jib halyard which does nothing for the rig tension and stop the furler working properly
Finally on the gooseneck there is a hook for the clew eye. These shouldn't but can and do fall forwards. These then contact the mast when tacking, put a big dent in the mast and rip off the top of the plastic gooseneck fitting. RS sent us new bits but replacement is fiddly. The mast has a big dent and looks bad, but doesn't really matter

I am a dealer for Laser Performance, or should I say think I am still a dealer, as they have been unable to supply replacement parts now for years after year. Oh, you can buy a new boat (I think) but god help you if you need a part for one. I second the comment that I wouldn't buy a Portstar due to LP's history. As a mater of fact, I use this site to find out what's going on over at LP as communication is less than zero. Formally, we have received not one bit of information on this new unit from LP.
I also like the Rocket very much but the direct from the manufacture idea I believe is a recipe for failure. LP is or still trying to go this route as they will ship a sunny anywhere in the box. That is all well and good until there is a problem from freight damage or the customer has a problem assembling the boat properly. The people on this forum are for the most part very knowledgeable but so many of our customers haven't got a clue. I understand eliminating the dealer, its a money thing, but 90% of the people that buy from us need hands on instruction on how to rig a fully assembled boat, some more than once. We are also are a Hobie dealer (were... they told us we didn't sell enough boats over the past 2 years even though they have no boats to sell) we get the calls all the time on how to install a replacement part they purchased on Amazon!
Dale

If I were going to spend money on a new boat, it would be a Sunfish, with its enormous popularity since 1953, the Class Association and this Forum.

The Rocket does look cool, "The boat was designed and developed by Steve Clark, President of Vanguard Sailboats 1987-2007, and his son Dave Clark, the president of Fulcrum Speedworks." Possible the direction that the Vanguard Sunfish would have tacked had it not been for the One Class Design philosophy.

The above link has some terrific overhead drone footage. Shows the shuffling done in close quarters. Check competitors' link at bottom. Apparently, a very active base in "upstate" New York. Kids do well.

Later, at the awards ceremony, trophies seemed to favor the lighter competitors--setting no new grounds there.

Light & Variable Winds advice appears there. ;) Like, "forget pointing high, just keep the boat moving".

A used Melges, with several sails and a trailer, can be had for $30K. :confused: How many fleets of Sunfish would that kind of money buy?

A used Melges, with several sails and a trailer, can be had for $30K. :confused: How many fleets of Sunfish would that kind of money buy?
Since a new Melges 14 costs about $9,000, I assume the $30,000 boats you are finding are Melges 24s? Or maybe Melges 20s? Both are very different than Sunfish and Melges 14s.

Even a used Melges 14 is $9,000, and one Melges 20 I'd overlooked exceeded the $30,000 Melges 20 price I'd quoted earlier. :eek: Scows, which I like, are plentiful at the link.

Link: Used Boats - Melges

I've ordered a Rocket for July delivery that is heading to the bay area. @norcalsail Get in on the action and we can get a fleet started.

If I were going to spend money on a new boat, it would be a Sunfish, with its enormous popularity since 1953, the Class Association and this Forum.

The Rocket does look cool, "The boat was designed and developed by Steve Clark, President of Vanguard Sailboats 1987-2007, and his son Dave Clark, the president of Fulcrum Speedworks." Possible the direction that the Vanguard Sunfish would have tacked had it not been for the One Class Design philosophy.
True - It is all about the class, fleets and people. Just wish LP didn't build the new ones!

Back