Porpoise repair

72porpoise2

It's been a while since I've been on here (almost 2 years!) anyway my heavy waterlogged porpoise 2 is in for some repair. The last time I took the old girl out, She was heavy, slow, and almost completely underwater! So obviously there are some leaks to address, splitting the deck, and the waterlogged foam is coming out. I also suspect my cockpit drains are behind the boats failed sinking attempt. My question to you guys is what closed cell foam should I replace it with? And what should I do while inside the hull? I am sure a couple of places could use some reinforcing.

when I reset my foam blocks on my older Sunfish, I bought the smallest 4-lb density kit (FOAM-0404) from US Composites, and there was plenty.

I used the same to reattach a blocks. I’d rather cut a couple of ports and add a fan than split the deck and remove all the foam. Why do you say “a couple places need reinforcing?”

I used the same to reattach a blocks. I’d rather cut a couple of ports and add a fan than split the deck and remove all the foam. Why do you say “a couple places need reinforcing?”
Last time I did a leak test the daggerboard trunk was one of many places with a leak. I'm not sure how to fix that without splitting. just asking if there were places such as the mast step that need reinforcing. this boat was tied off to a dock, and the repeated slamming broke the seam to the deck/hull. I also have a ratchet block on the way, and I would like to add a backing block to it and replace the others depending on condition.
I suppose I could get away with adding a couple of ports, drying it out, and fixing the leaks that way, but id rather do it once and have a light/dry boat for the rest of my ownership. what are your guys' thoughts? I have another sailboat, so don't say forget about it and go sailing

Welcome back! :)

Forget about it and go sailing.

I liked my Porpoise II because of its robust contruction--stronger, I think, than Sunfish. :oops:

I removed all the flotation aft of the cockpit. Now, I'm thinking, nothing needs to be added there.

For peace of mind, install an inspection port, and stuff old or damaged PFDs (or open them up and use adhesive to secure the flotation of closed-cell or kapok packs) in that space.

That way, if there's a "repeat" of your sinking, the hull will be positioned in a level condition. ;)

Since the cockpit itself is extremely shallow compared to the Sunfish, the two bailers can be sealed off (top and bottom) or re-routed, say, to the sides of the hull.

Leaks at the daggerboard trunk are a constant concern. I used MarineTex in a peanut butter consistency and faired as much of the bottom edge as I could reach with my (gloved) finger. Thixo might have been a better choice of sealer. :oops: For $22, a "snake camera" can be plugged into your cellphone and used "real-time" to check for obvious damage or the less-obvious "porosities".

Back