Pop's Alcort Sailfish, he's gone, boat remains . . .

david n

All

I need help identifying my pop's old sailfish. We had a beach house in the late 60s to mid seventies, and I was too small to ride on it. He sold the beach house in 77 and parked the boat in the barn. He is no longer here, but I bought a beach house in Florida. He purchased the Trailex trailer new in 77, the same year he sold the beach house. The boat is much older, so much so that I do not remember him sailing it, tho my mom said he did. I can not find any serial number on it. The sail is solid red and there are few markings, no stripes, on the hull. I loaded more pix on photobucket at http://tinyurl.com/bmh2kvw. It is not for sale, but I like to know what it is, what it is worth, and what to do with it. Thank you.

0-1.jpeg0-2.jpeg

Attachments

• 0-3.jpeg
    0-3.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 0-6.jpeg
    0-6.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 0-7.jpeg
    0-7.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 98
wow..I hope guys on here can help you out...she looks great...I am currently restoring a 74...you can see the post...74 sunfish restore....good luck

That pulley is a "block", the pole it is attached to is the lower spar or boom. The halyard is the line that ties to the upper spar, goes through the top of the mast to raise the sail and back down to the deck to be tied off. There should be a mast, and at the top of the mast a block (pulley) or plastic cap with a hole in it.

That looks like one sweet Sailfish!

It is probably worth far more to you than it would be to anyone else since it belonged to your dad. You might get 3-400 bucks for that rig, IF you can find somebody who wants an old Sailfish. They were never as popular as the Sunfish and still aren't but they are a lot of fun to sail. As far as what to do with it, don't sell it, SAIL IT! There are a lot of how to sail videos on Youtube. This instruction booklet came with new AMF Alcort boats back in the day. http://www.avonsailboats.com/pdf_files/learn3days.pdf

Here is a cool video of a guy sailing an old wooden sailfish from the 1940s.

Back