Pop-rivets: Aluminum or Stainless Steel?

L&VW

Strange how the factory's pop-rivets pull out, loosen, or even, turn up missing? :confused:

While the aluminum trim(s) should be re-secured using aluminum rivets, I've been re-thinking the use of pop-rivets in general.

It was time to replace the sun-degraded inspection port on my '76 ex-racer Sunfish. The aluminum rivets drilled right out: however, I noted that half the holes had split the old port. :( (White arrow).

The red arrow points to one of the four tabs on a "bayonet mount" inspection port. (Requires only a 45° turn to open). :cool:

Fullscreen capture 812018 101027 PM.bmp-001.jpg

This new "6-inch" port is marked "AAA", is made in China, is cheap in construction, is larger than the old 6-inch port, and very flexible while pretending to be watertight with a white O-ring. :rolleyes: I'm waiting for a quality bayonet mount, as the old Holt & Allen® port isn't offered anywhere. You'll notice that I've used stainless-steel screws—snugged-up—instead of pop rivets, which would have also split this port. :(

To make it less flexible, an old port from a "parts box" backs up this installation, but this is one installation that should have been built-up flat with 3M 4200®. :oops: Incidentally, to shield against UV rays, I'd spray-painted the new port with a "Rustoleum For Plastic®" product. Even before the installation, only one rainy drizzle caused the paint to peel away! :eek:

'Still holding to the opinion that, "I'd still not "pop" the rivet fully, but file it 'flatter'", as I wrote here, earlier:
Received Intensity order

IMHO, stainless steel pop-rivets are overkill, and I suggest aluminum pop-rivets for trim(s), but use the "snug-it-up-and-cut-it-off" pop-rivet
technique. (Don't let it "pop").

Bottom line: I would NOT use pop-rivets to secure plastic hardware.

for inspection ports, I always just use short stainless steel machine screws with a nylon locking nut and small washer below the deck.

[but, to be fair, my hand-held pop rivet gun(?) is a POS from Harbor Freight, so I have never had much luck with it...]

Another thought on pop-rivets...

The cockpit trim is secured with the same pop-rivets, but gets stressed with racing. My ex-racer Sunfish has two loose rivets, most likely stressed by a heavy skipper. (Previous skipper, not me). :)
Fullscreen capture 842018 70445 PM.bmp.jpg

Because there are two loose rivets, I'm going to replace all of them, removing the cockpit trim entirely. Then, just as I did on my other (#3) ex-racer, I'm going to :eek: GLUE :eek: THE TRIM BACK ON, and replace all the rivets while the glue is setting. YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary). This damaged rivet will get a companion or two. :cool: More on rivets:

Inheriting an old Sunfish in need of repair - can I do it myself?

>

Back