Polishing the hull- what's this???

sharkbait

Hi guys,
I've been working on and off over the winter sorting out the hull of my 1985 (ish) Black Magic laser.
As you may have guessed the hull is black above the waterline (white deck and below the waterline). I've finshed repairing the holes in the hull and I'm pretty happy with that and I'm now polishing the whole hull.
I started polishing by hand using Farecla g3 paste and it's all good, but in a couple of places there is a wierd white 'clouding' appeared in the gel.
Anybody out there have any idea what this is and how to get rid of it? I've tried light sanding and further polishing but it's still there.
clouding.jpg

It is the white gel coat appearing under the black layer of gel as you gradually sand the black away.

If you're going to apply more black gel coat, you might want to sand a little more of the black away in that spot... that way there is a better bond for the new gel coat. If you just apply over the currently faded stuff, you're just going to sand it away.

If you're going to apply more black gel coat, you might want to sand a little more of the black away in that spot... that way there is a better bond for the new gel coat. If you just apply over the currently faded stuff, you're just going to sand it away.

Good idea....I'll bear that in mind.

You lucky chap living in Newport! I spend a very happy 6 months there waaay back in 1985 working @ Shore Sails and racing J24's (and lots of other things) with a chap called Ken Read. :)

Yea... Newport is fun place to be. I'm origionally from Western Massachsettes and the sailing is MUCH better here than in the Berkshires :cool:

Back