Pointing problem

altair

The last few times I sailed I had a hard time pointing as high as other boats. When I tried to point as high as others I had very little boat speed. What do you need to do in order to point high in a sunfish and have good speed?

In how much wind are you having these problems? I think I read in an earlier post of your's you are pretty light. If the problems are in light to moderate air it could be gooseneck, outhaul, cunningham position or just weight placement in the boat. Hope this helps.

altair said:
The last few times I sailed I had a hard time pointing as high as other boats. When I tried to point as high as others I had very little boat speed. What do you need to do in order to point high in a sunfish and have good speed?

I do weigh about 142 and the problems I had were in winds of 15-18.

Reasons for not pointing as high in the breeze: As soon as you are overpowered, you will have to ease the mainsheet to depower the boat and then you are likely not pointing as high. Also, if you are overpowered, you are likely heeling a lot and you are not projecting the daggerboard downward as much as a flat boat and you will slide. If you try to feather too much, you will lose speed and the foils will start to stall and you will slide sideways.

You need to move the gooseneck back on the spar, flatten the sail with outhaul and cunningham and then hike your buns off.

Also, a strong regimen of krispy creme, hot chocolate, pizza, PBJ and snickers over the course of a year will help you in the breeze!

100th post MUST BE A LONG COLD WINTER UP THERE TO MUCH TIME TO LOOK AT THE COMPUTER.

SORRY GOT GET OFF TIME TO GO SAILING. REGATA TO GO TO.

JUST TEASUNG WITH YOU. IT SHOULD BE WARM ENOUGH TO SAIL UP THERE WITH A WET SUIT IN A MONTH OR TWO.

HAHA Pimp,

It just snowed a foot today! 4 REAL! It sucks because I was thinking this may be the weekend to start sailing or windsurfing and the ice went out earlier this week. UGGH. Now I gotta wait some more.

Are you coming up for NA's?

Well I Have To Tell You About Sunday.

The Perfict Sunfisher's Day. Sunny, Warm, 12-15 Winds, Bay Was Flat. The Family Was At The Mount Dora Regata. Had To Go Sailing

Went To Load My Boat(that I Had Loaned To One Of My Boy Scouts That Was Too Big For An Opti For The Small Boat Sailing Merit Badge My Son Was One Of The Instructors) Last Week It Was 20-25 All Week. Lots Of Wet Scout's. week: Well After Draining 3-5 Gal's Of Water Out Of It.i Pulled Up The Sail Bent Upper Boom.this Didn't Stop Me I Was Determined To Get Some Pratice In.

Half Way Across :rolleyes: The Bay Hikeing Strap Broke No Big One.just Fix It Next Week.just About As Far Away From The Club As You Can Go The Lower Boom Block Cuts Loose Time To Go In. :confused: Dane It.

Went In And Had An Adult Beverage And Enjoyed My 45 Min Sail For The Day. :p

Tim I Have To Tell You How It Works In My Family.my Son The Racer Get's The New Boat, My Wife The Racer Then Get's It And I Put The Scraps Together For Myself. So When I'm Not Running Someone To A Regata.clenic Or On A Safty Boat I Might Get A Chance To Sail.

As For Na's Don't Know It's Hard To Spend The Money To Go When It's Alot Of The Some People We See At Local Event's. So Unless My Son Or Wife Express Intrest I'll Stay Here In Sunfish Heaven.

Fairwinds Your Way'

The Cookie Pimp (have You Tried The New Chip Deluxe She's Hot, Worth The Money)

LOL! I think we have all had days like that. On my laser one time, the hiking strap broke and I did a reverse somersault but held onto the mainsheet. I scaled back into the boat but realized my glasses had fallen off. They were a week old.

I have an almost identical fish for my wife so she can sail and the kids still are in the opti so I'm OK for a while. But I may be in your shoes sooner than later.

Back