What's new

Poetry thread...

Cactus Cowboy

Ya know, this website needs a poetry thread, and since this is a nautical site, the poetry should be nautical as well... as you old hands know, many sailors are poets at heart, and I'm sure some of you here have written a poem or two. It's okay, don't be embarrassed, even strack types & combat killers can write poetry, there's no law against it, LOL. :confused:

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I went through a phase and wrote some poetry, as I was deeply interested in the whole scene... especially after reading classics like 'The Garden of Love' by William Blake, 'Requiem' by Robert Louis Stevenson, 'A Drunken Man's Praise of Sobriety' by William Butler Yeats, and other poems which would appeal to a sailor, aye? :rolleyes:

Of course, the 'romantic' in me died an ugly death decades ago, I was CURED of the notion the same way one can be CURED of certain diseases down at the nearest STD clinic... too much negative societal programming out of Hollywood, and no interest whatsoever in modern romance from the gals I happened to meet, LOL. ;)

Meh, I won't go any farther with that statement... it will suffice to say that the poetry outlived all the failed relationships, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, at least I can laugh about it now, knowing that my 'romantic soul' never had a chance against Hollywood programming... might as well have been 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. :eek:

Since that poem was a military poem, and since I was always into the Viking scene (NOT as portrayed by Hollywood or any other modern filmmakers), I believe I'll start this thread with a good old-fashioned NON-PC VIKING POEM. Hey, the good news is that my poem has SAILING in it, LOL, even if the PC crowd won't be overjoyed by reading it, PFFFFFFFFT. :mad:

Here we go, I reckon I'll post each poem separately, and I have a few to post tonight... perhaps the true sailors here will enjoy them, perhaps I'll be burned in effigy, LOL. Makes no difference to me, I've been burned before in various deals... feel free to comment, or post your own poetry in this thread, I still fully support the 1st Amendment, YEAH? Okay, here we go... :cool:

THE NORSEMEN

THEY SAIL THEIR SHIPS TO DISTANT SHORES,

AND THERE THEY DISEMBARK IN SCORES,

TO VENTURE FORTH IN MARTIAL STRIDE

AND TERRORIZE THE COUNTRYSIDE!

THEY SEND FIERCE LANDSMEN TO THEIR GRAVES,

AND SEIZE THE FAIREST GIRLS AS SLAVES;

THEY RANSACK VILLAGES IN TURN,

AND WHAT REMAINS, REMAINS TO BURN!

THEY GATHER ALL THAT THEY CAN TAKE,

AND LEAVE DESTRUCTION IN THEIR WAKE.

THEN THEY UPON SLAIN CREATURES DINE,

AND SLAKE THEIR THIRST WITH STOLEN WINE;

AND AFTER THEY CONSUME THEIR DRAFT,

THEY STAGGER BACK TO BOARD THEIR CRAFT

AND SAIL HOME TO NORTHERN LANDS,

THE SPOILS OF COMBAT IN THEIR HANDS.

Last edited:

Cactus Cowboy

Okay, here's a cool and somewhat free-form poem I wrote about the rainforest, funny thing is my inspiration came from 'Jungle Training' at Fort Sherman, Panama, while I was in the USA INF, learning how to KILL the enemy in such terrain, LOL. I still remember every detail of that training, including open-door contour helo flights over the treetops, and suddenly flying over a cliff and banking hard to starboard, looking straight down at multicolored reefs and water hundreds of feet below. The triple-canopy jungle was already 200' high, at least, and the cliff was another 100' high, so the sudden transition involved skimming the treetops one moment, banking & wheeling the next, with nothing but open space between troops and the water 300' down. Awesome memories, those helo flights, I'll take 'em with me to the grave... but here's my humble poem which was written a few years after that training occurred. :cool:

RAINFOREST

A WONDROUS HIDDEN REALM EXISTS

WITHIN THIS WORLD OF EMERALD DREAMS,

WHERE SPIRITS OF THE FOREST SIGH

AS ANCIENT GIANTS TOUCH THE SKY

AND SUMMON FORTH THE SWIRLING MISTS.

THEN NATURE'S MYSTERY UNFOLDS

INSIDE THIS PRISTINE PARADISE,

FOR WHEN THE MISTS SO GENTLY FALL,

THE FOREST SPIRITS, ONE AND ALL,

DESCEND FROM ARBORESCENT EAVES

TO STAND BENEATH THE DRIPPING LEAVES

AND BREATHE THE PRECIOUS BREATH OF LIFE.

SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS FLEETING CHANCE

TO JOIN THE ELEMENTAL DANCE,

FROM SIDE TO SIDE THEY SOFTLY SWAY,

AND THEN THEY SLOWLY TURN AWAY,

TO DISAPPEAR WITH SILENT STEPS

INTO THE JUNGLE'S DARKEST DEPTHS.

Cactus Cowboy

Here's a poem I wrote about hummingbirds, which happen to be my favorite wild birds... there's more to this poem than the casual reader would know, since I deliberately incorporated alternate internal & end rhyme schemes. Not so easy to do, I assure you, and if ya think otherwise, well, be sure to post your poems so we can all learn something, LOL. :confused:

This is a sonnet in the traditional form, with an octet and a sextet, and the rhyme schemes are complex, I'll let y'all figure 'em out, aye? In the sextet, "gorgeous" and "for just" were as close as I could get... meh, so sue me, LOL. The other rhyme schemes are intricate, and deliberately alternate so readers can trip on 'em, yeah? Once ya figure out the rhyme schemes, the poem takes on greater significance if ya happen to be a poet... ;)

THE HUMMINGBIRD

HIS AGILE FORM STREAKS INTO SIGHT,

THEN HOVERS THERE BEFORE YOUR EYES;

THIS FRAGILE MASTER OF THE SKIES

DISCOVERS BLOSSOMS IN DELIGHT!

HE SAVORS NECTAR WHILE IN FLIGHT,

THIS CLEVER BIRD OF ENTERPRISE;

HE WAVERS, THEN HE SWIFTLY FLIES,

AND NEVER ONCE DOES HE ALIGHT!

THIS GORGEOUS GLEAMING JEWEL SO FAIR,

WITH WHIRRING WINGS AND WONDROUS WAYS,

HAS BEARING FAR BEYOND COMPARE!

AND FOR JUST SECONDS HE CONVEYS

A STIRRING GIFT TO THOSE WHO SHARE

HIS DARING AERIAL DISPLAYS!

Cactus Cowboy

Alright, back to some NON-PC VIKING ACTION, might wanna don your Kevlar before reading this one, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :eek:

BERSERKER

THE MURDER RAGES IN HIS EYES,

HIS MIGHTY HANDS WIELD BLOODY SWORD;

THE SCOURGE OF THE RETREATING HORDE,

HE PIERCES HEARTS WITH SAVAGE CRIES!

HE CARES NOT IF HE LIVES OR DIES,

THIS FEARSOME FRENZIED MARTIAL LORD;

THE THRILL OF COMBAT HIS REWARD,

HIS VIOLENCE INTENSIFIES!

BENEATH HIS FEET THRASH STRICKEN FOES,

BEFORE HIM MEN WITHDRAW IN FRIGHT;

HE CRUSHES ALL WITH MORTAL BLOWS!

HE SCORNS HIS WEAK OPPONENTS' PLIGHT

AND EXPEDITES THEIR DYING THROES;

HE REVELS IN ETERNAL FIGHT!

Cactus Cowboy

Hmm, here's a sappy poem written to some ex, I'm thinking it would better serve a broken beer bottle in the cockpit... and no, I'm NOT some DV candidate, I've never struck a woman in my life, though I've been slapped by one or two at parties, LOL. I was young at the time, of course, and more inclined to speak my mind, which is not recommended in today's PC world. Still, I'm thinking this poem would be better suited to a dropped & smashed bottle of Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale... from Yorkshire's oldest brewery, as in Yorkshire, England, I'm not talking that Samuel Adams cr@p, LOL. Here we go... :(

MY HEART SHALL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU

MY LOVE FOR YOU ILLUMINATES

THE DARKEST DEPTHS OF MY DESPAIR;

YOU'LL NEVER NEED MERE WRITTEN WORDS

TO KNOW HOW MUCH I REALLY CARE.

I NEVER MEANT TO CAUSE YOU HARM,

MY KINDRED SPIRIT, SWEET AND TRUE;

THROUGH LIFE AND DEATH, AND FAR BEYOND,

MY HEART SHALL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU.

Cactus Cowboy

Last but not least, we have the ALL-TIME CLASSIC POEM written by a partying mofo, this one is about a DERELICT, go figure... and who else has written such a poem, I ask? If you've written such a poem, I say go ahead and post it, LOL. Here's this piece o' work, written while I was seriously hung over, no doubt... :confused:

DERELICT

INSIDE A TENEMENT WHERE NO ONE CARES,

WITHIN A DARKENED SLUM OF FORLORN HOPES,

A QUIV'RING ALCOHOLIC BLINDLY GROPES,

THEN SLOWLY TUMBLES HEADLONG DOWN THE STAIRS.

HE FEELS NO PAIN, AND YET HIS TEMPER FLARES,

AND SHORTLY, HE IN SULLEN ANGER MOPES;

WITH HIS NEW CIRCUMSTANCE HE SIMPLY COPES,

THE SITUATION HE ALREADY BEARS.

HE KNOWS THAT HE MUST MAKE IT TO THE STORE,

AND SO HE AWKWARDLY REGAINS HIS FEET;

UNSTEADILY, HE STAGGERS OUT THE DOOR.

HE WEAVES IN DRUNKEN STUPOR DOWN THE STREET,

FOREVER DRIVEN BY THE URGE FOR MORE;

HIS EMPTY STOMACH SOON WILL FEEL THE HEAT.

Cactus Cowboy

Damn, that last poem was HARSH-MA, I think I need another beer, LOL. :rolleyes:

Hasta luego, youse fooliots... er, I mean youse NAUTICAL HEE-ROES... y'all be good and stay outta trouble, AYE? ;)

I'm off to see the wizard... that chump still owes me a hundred bucks & I intend to collect, even if that means beating that fool like a redheaded stepchild, LOL. :eek: