Please suggest the best threads

Merrily

Administrator
Forum member Marvin-Miller has suggested that we "pin" the best posts on various topics at the top for easy access. This is an excellent idea that will cut down on the FAQ's. I'd like suggestions for the best threads on mast step repair, hull fairing, trailering, etc. Please make thoughtful suggestions. It won't be useful to have many threads on the same topic.

It might be quite difficult to find (or agree on) the "best" threads, but in most cases there are 2 to 5 threads that cover the topic pretty thoroughly - how about pinning a thread of each of those topics and then we can post in what threads we think address the issue ?

Thanks Merrily - I was hoping you'd catch that post :)

I'd like to submit my mast step repair post (it's in my sig file below) as it's a compilation of all the best and most knowledgable information I could find - complete with pictures and my own experiences as I followed the advice from the group and performed the repair.

I noticed that there is a time limit on how long threads are kept open on this forum and that leads me to another thought - it might be useful to keep the FAQ's open so that future readers can post a question or two in case an addendum is needed or even a minor revision.

For instance, someone might come in with a tip that no-one thought of that makes the FAQ even better. A time saving step or a better way to do something etc.

There's another valid reason for keeping the FAQ's open to replies. Using my mast step repair as an example - if someone comes in, follows the FAQ, and then has a question in the middle of the job they can then post up a question in the form of a reply, and everyone involved in the thread will get an email notification.

This is an easy way for them to 'get in touch' with the people who have 'gone before', indeed, with the very people who made the FAQ in the first place. In my mast step thread I think there were at least 4 people active in it who were knowledgable and had done the repair themselves. As such, there's no one better qualified to provide clarification - should the need arise. What I've found in the past is that no matter how hard you try to cover all the bases in a FAQ usually there is a need for minor clarification.

And so, what happens is that as the thread grows the need for clarification tends to decline because all the common questions have been answered. And thus, we build that ultimate compedium of knowledge, one where all the questions have been asked and answered and so, the person just needs to read it and follow it :eek::):D

The reason for suggesting a new and separate forum for the FAQ's is because I had one forum that had 40 FAQ's pinned to the top of it and that means every time someone went into that forum they had to scroll past the 40 FAQ's to get to the active threads. However, this can be done at any time. (highlighted because of earlier post)

Not to belabor the point, but I found that a major key to forum growth was to ensure that email notification was turned on by default when a person registers. I saw many more posts today that were answered but the original poster never showed up again. Usually this is because email notifcation was turned off and they forgot all about the site (and their question) never knowing that someone had replied.

Email notifications tend to 'remind' people about the site and keep them active. In fact, I just went through a ton of my subscriptions and cancelled all the ones I could because I was being drawn back to the site so much that I haven't been getting any work done! So, there's a testimony to the effectiveness of email notifications and their coopresponding affect on increasing site traffic.:D:);)

In closing, I just wouldn't be me if I didn't nominate one of my threads - or take 2,000 words to explain why. :D

Perhaps threads could be grouped into sub forums and threads can be moved accordingly.

Here's a one minute whack at it:

Rigging
-Standard
-Radial
-8.1 (could such a thing be allowed on TLF?) ;)

Repair/Maintenance
-Mast step
-Gelcoat repair
-Painting
-Cockpit drain
-Deck joint
-Centerboard Trunk
-Foils

Racing
-Class Rules
-Technique

Trailering/Storage
-Covers
-Dollies

The problem (yes, I tend to see problems) with this idea is that 'good' threads may have bits of 'bad' info. Ideally, some editing would be good. That's the idea of the Wiki, but it needs time and attention to make that work.

2. A 'good' thread still may not have the specific info I am after. Perhaps it's in a 'not so good' thread on the same subject. Or in a thread that originated years ago that almost all of us have forgotten about. Therefore, I still feel that using the Search function is best.

A good idea in general. I agree that too many pinned posts clutters up the page.

A FAQ section is common on many sites to answer the basic questions that always come up with new viewers or new boaters in our case. Every time a good question / answer thread comes up it could be just dropped into the FAQ so that over time it was fairly comprehensive.

Wasn't the Wiki going to compile all this information in one place for this reason? (Although that implies a lot of volunteer labor on someone's part to assemble all the info and compose it)

One of the problems with pinning threads is that, with the forum layout all the current non-pinned threads move down the page and thus tend not to be as noticeable. For people who don't visit e.g. every day, a lot of threads with new posts/content will move onto the 2nd page, which will result in discussion threads dying somewhat quicker as people fail to notice the discussion is still ongoing.

Maybe have a separate forum area e.g. "Reference" - but then will people look there and maybe the best way to find stuff (even in the reference section) would be to use the Search facility so back to square one.

Then one gets issues about what are "best" - most interesting, more useful, most often asked (which are often more boring). So I want to know how to avoid the mainsheet catching on the transom when gybing. I look at the pinned posts/reference area and nothing there so I feel it worth starting a new thread to ask. after all, it is not already answered (but maybe I should have used the search facility ? - but a reference section implies it contains everything that is reference material).

Ian

perhaps a forum named sticky's I think something for beginners would attract and hold the new guys better. I feel this way because I am one. I haven's sailed in some time and just purchased a laser.. I am getting most of my 'how to sail and care for a sailboat' info from google searches - most isn't laser specific.

honestly everything I need to repair the boat is here and easily explained and easy to find- . I did have a few threads and some great responses... I will stay around.

Maybe some can write articles and have a featured article every so often.

Some of this information I mentioned might be here and I am just not looking hard enough. It would be great for an even more basic How to sail, how to store.. .. and whatever I need to know so I can see you out on a course someday.

Basically stickys help us that don't know what questions to ask yet. ( you provide a lot of answers)

-joe-

Hi.
This is my personal opinion nothing else.

In the moment at TLF, one is able to find over 81.000 posts/replies in over 15.000 Threads.

TLF has a powerful search functionality, but it seems to me sometimes, many, especial newibies here, do not want to waste time or do not know about much how to use effective the search functionality. It's ok for me, if TLF newbies often and often and often... ask the same questions and experienced TLF members help to find answers... again and again and again the same ones ... Not few, new aspects are posted, too by going this way. This makes the knowledge around Lasersailing up to date at TLF.

Me personally, I sometimes, if the weather is bad and I have time, I surf through the TLF-archive. It needs time, yes, but I learn a ton of "BTW"-questions, I sometimes have. This rises up my personal knowledge. Okay, this aspect of view is not "everyones case". We also live in sort of egoistic times, where "time is money". No problem for me. If I am able to give an answer (hopefully correct) I post it.

In my opinion:
Only very experienced Laserites are able to decide, if a posting/reply is useful, helpful and "bringing forward". I am not such a one. Once upon a time, Neil Berman did this in former times first, with his famous Laser-"FAQ1" and this work was upgraded to a fantastic new level by Shevy Gunter, owner and editor of the drLaser.org with is "FAQ²". Sure it was a tremendous work, to filter complete the former ILCA-NA Email list archive, the precursor of TLF, for useful informations to publish them central, rehashed and reduced in many single documentations and make them online.

Now, about 4,5 years the drLaser.org is offline. And TLF most succesful collected all the Laserites concerned questions, the absence of the drLaser.org left behind. DrLaser himself and Bradley and a few others here, accelerated the advantage of having TLFif I remember correct. ... You have a question? -> So, ask it here and you get answers.... Okay sometimes if replies say: "use the seach functionality at the TLF toolbar".... This is in reason sometimes experienced Laserites (are posting here honorary and not for money!) that try to give answers here do not have time, but they know if the search button is used, the questioner relative quick gets the answers that she/he needs.

I bet, if Bradley would engage a professional writer/editor that is together in person a very experienced Laserite (f.e. a retired writer and professional active Laser master sailor), and this writer filters complete TLF for useful informations f.e. for a book, this big Laser-dictionary-book would be a top selling book at the watersport section of any bookshop.... But, Bradley is wise, he respects that all what we here do post, is honoray done. So we trust in his work for us and vice-versa and we post and post and post....

That's the way a succesful forum runs.

But an engaged writer perhaps want money for that he spends tis much time to filter TLF, who knows? Hopefully not.

Again: perhaps a retired Master-Laserite, that is sailing for loooong time professional Laser and by luck is writer and has time and has interest in such a job and is neutral in his opinion is able to create a professional TLF Laser archive.

At the actual existing Laser-wiki it is to difficult to edit at... I remember well to a reply of "the gouv" that once did inform us, how difficult it is to edit there....

How ever, have fun with searching at the TLF archive like I have, it is really exciting / forming, I say.

Ciao
LooserLu

I'm thinking of having a separate FAQ forum, so the stickies won't clutter up the other forums. At least I've suggested it to Bradley.

I'll ask again--please suggest the best threads. :) I don't have time to cull through them myself. I already read most of this every day.

A huge amount of browsing time could be saved by simply pinning any thread in which I have posted to the bottom of the lists.

Attachments

• Vanity_Smurf.jpg
    Vanity_Smurf.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 20
A huge amount of browsing time could be saved by simply pinning any thread in which I have posted to the bottom of the lists.

Now that's priceless! :D

Merrily - this one is pretty good (sanding a mile of scratches)

It may not be perfect but it's probably a good start.

This one - Harken Vang or Holt is something that I found really useful. It's a simple thing but if your're about to shell out $600 it's really nice to know which is the better choice. Mind you, a pinned poll (FAQ) could be just as effective at getting the popularity point across.

This is a pretty good leak thread

Here's a good one on bent spars.

I've seen several but it's the compedium effect that I think is most important. What I tend to see is that comprehensive information is usually spread out amongst many different posts making it harder to compile.

I suspect that as you implement some FAQ's more will get added as people discover them. Hope this helps get started. BTW, don't forget my excellent mast step repair thread :D

How about this-
I don't really want to create a new section for FAQ but I don't want to have 40 stickies either. So, lets use this thread to pick the best question and answer threads then I will create a stickied thread called "Frequently Asked Questions - Read these before posting!" Inside that thread will be an evolving list of helpful discussions that newbies and others can reference for quick information.

Let me know what you think-

Bradley

OK, I've started a closed sticky. I've got the ILCA and the North American Class Association. Anyone want to submit their country's/district's association for inclusion?

Forum member Marvin-Miller has suggested that we "pin" the best posts on various topics at the top for easy access. This is an excellent idea that will cut down on the FAQ's. I'd like suggestions for the best threads on mast step repair, hull fairing, trailering, etc. Please make thoughtful suggestions. It won't be useful to have many threads on the same topic.

I link we should pin one on laser hull resurfacing, getting ready for spring and things like that.

Back