I had Friday off, and looking ahead at the forecast, no day really looked too appealing this weekend, and Monday was a high probability of rain (it finally did in the evening). I decided to try anyway on Friday mid-day, even though wind speed forecasts were light, about 5 mph. I trailered my Sunfish up the lake of choice, only to find completely calm air - the flag nearby wasn't moving AT ALL.
Since I was there, though, I figured I'd put her in, and see if the wind picked up at all. It didn't. I drifted and floated around for a while, occasionally getting a slim bit of hope as the wind would randomly flutter across the sail. After about 45 minutes or so, I just gave up and paddled back it. Very frustrating.
Hope your Labor Day (weekend) was more kind to sailors.