Please help - outboard motor mount

cjdavia

I saved up some pennies and finally purchased the 2HP 4 stroke Honda outboard. This just might save my marriage! :)

Can anyone out there recommend a good way to mount it? I am at witt's end!

I currently have the motor clamped onto the reinforced transom, but the traveller and blocks hit the motor and get stuck on it when the boom comes about. In order to clear the traveller, it seems like the motor should be mounted about 5 inches back. I've seen the stationary and the recommended adjustable motor mounts, and I think they can fix this issue.

But mounting the motor further back poses another problem - the motor should be able to lift up to nearly parallel, allowing me to safely trailer into the water and raise the prop when under sail. However if I do mount it 5 inches behind the transom, I can't raise the prop because the head of the motor will hit the transom before it locks into place and STILL be in the way of the traveller. AARGH

Can anyone out there help me? For those of you with adjustable brackets, how far back does it place the motor, and does it allow the prop to be rasied high enough for trailering and saling? PLEASE help! Thanks, Chris

I'll try to help you!

Chris, I just bought a two year old Mod 3 and a new short shaft 2HP Honda 4 Stroke mounted on a factory installed motor mount that is on the port side of the transom. This configuration works quite well. I experience no problems with it interfering with the traveler or tilting the motor up to the maximum
That being said, I am pretty sure that the factory mount is available from Catalina or perhaps Catalina Direct. I have seen a price quoted some where recently of less than $100. I have needed and used adjustable motor mounts on other boats with a lot of freeboard and I'm not sure that is the best solution in this case. I like to keep things as simple a possible. However, once you clear this little problem,(and you will) you are going to love your motor. Spending the extra bucks is well worth the benefits you will enjoy. I am happy to email you pictures, measurement, try to answer questions, etc. if you are interested. Just let me know! :)
Chris Reyher

Help is good

Hi Chris,

I didn't realize the newer 14.2s come with a motor mount, boy that would be nice right now.

Of course, just minutes before your post I wound up winning a new adjustable motor mount on ebay... just my luck. I agree that simpler is better but I could not figure out a way to raise the prop without the head of the motor hitting the transom so I was hoping that the adjustable mount could take care of the raising and lowering. Hopefully we can make it work, or I'll put it back up on ebay. I did find an adjustable motor mount at catalinadirect, but I think the mount was for the 22 ft model.

Thanks for your generous offer to help, I am going to take you up on it and make you sorry for offering. I hate to dump all of my research on you, but could you please tell me how far back your mount sits from the transom and also let me know how far down it is from the top of the transom? A picture of your motor and mount when raised would be VERY helpful. I think you can include a picture on your forum post, but if you like you could send it to my email address: [email protected]

Hey on a separate note I have another question -- do you think the motor is sort of loud? I was under the impression that the 4 strokes were supposed to be very quiet, but I feel like this one is pretty noisy. My wife and I have to talk really loudly to be heard... at least now it is not about the 'best' way to get back to the dock!

Thanks again and hopefully some day I can return the favor. I'll do my best not to ask much more of you!

-Chris Davia

My old mod 1 does not have a reinforced transom

The more I learn, the more confusing this project becomes. First the good news: I called Catalina Direct and they do sell a mounting bracket for the 14.2, just like Chris mentionned. They haven't sold one in over 10 years but they do have one in stock. According to the sales rep., the bracket sets the motor about 10-12 inches behind the transom, just like the adjustable bracket I purchased last night.
Now the not-so-good news: My catalina is one of the first off the production line (sail number 253), and it does not have any reinforcement on either side of the transom. It is hollow on both sides.
Clamping the motor over the top of the transom seems ok to me, but now I am thinking that installing a 29 lb motor 10-12 inches behind the transom is going to cause too much stress where the mounting bolts go through the transom. I am wondering if reinforcing the bracket with wood on either side of the transom will provide enough strength. I wish I had an answer for this before I start drilling holes through my baby.
Does anyone have an ideas for me? :confused:

Thanks so much, I need a beer!
-Chris Davia

short shaft?

I am confused. In the FAQ's it states that the 2 hp LONG shaft Honda is the best. And yet here I see that you got a short shaft? Is that the 15" shaft not the 20 - and it works OK?

Thanks

Pictures of the Honda 2HP 4S on Catalina Mount

cjdavia said:
Hi Chris,

I didn't realize the newer 14.2s come with a motor mount, boy that would be nice right now.

Of course, just minutes before your post I wound up winning a new adjustable motor mount on ebay... just my luck. I agree that simpler is better but I could not figure out a way to raise the prop without the head of the motor hitting the transom so I was hoping that the adjustable mount could take care of the raising and lowering. Hopefully we can make it work, or I'll put it back up on ebay. I did find an adjustable motor mount at catalinadirect, but I think the mount was for the 22 ft model.

Thanks for your generous offer to help, I am going to take you up on it and make you sorry for offering. I hate to dump all of my research on you, but could you please tell me how far back your mount sits from the transom and also let me know how far down it is from the top of the transom? A picture of your motor and mount when raised would be VERY helpful. I think you can include a picture on your forum post, but if you like you could send it to my email address: [email protected]

Hey on a separate note I have another question -- do you think the motor is sort of loud? I was under the impression that the 4 strokes were supposed to be very quiet, but I feel like this one is pretty noisy. My wife and I have to talk really loudly to be heard... at least now it is not about the 'best' way to get back to the dock!

Thanks again and hopefully some day I can return the favor. I'll do my best not to ask much more of you!

-Chris Davia

If I did this right, here are four pictures that I hope will help you. This is a short shaft motor (I'm guessing that yours is too) and with me in it (230lbs) the antiventilation plate is about two inches below the water surface and is much louder than if it were deeper. There are obvious advantages to having the short shaft model, but the trade-off is noise. No longer than I need to use it, noise is not a problem for me. Honda recommends that the anti-ventilation plate be 5.9 inches below the surface. I believe that is for optimum quietness. If it is too high you will get ventilation or some folks call it cavitation. That is when the prop literally sucks the water down from the surface in a vortex and leaves a void of nothing but air. Then you get a lot of noise and loss of thrust. This is a major issue with water cooled motors, because the water inlet can be left high and dry. The 2HP Honda is air cooled as you know.
If you have questions let me know. I am happy to help!
chris...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 651
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 632
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 609
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 627
bets said:
I am confused. In the FAQ's it states that the 2 hp LONG shaft Honda is the best. And yet here I see that you got a short shaft? Is that the 15" shaft not the 20 - and it works OK?

Thanks

Yep, works great! No problems. If "works best" means quieter, then I can't argue that point. (See my previous post.) Besides, I'm a little hard of hearing anyway! :D

Reyher said:
If I did this right, here are four pictures that I hope will help you. This is a short shaft motor (I'm guessing that yours is too) and with me in it (230lbs) the antiventilation plate is about two inches below the water surface and is much louder than if it were deeper. There are obvious advantages to having the short shaft model, but the trade-off is noise. No longer than I need to use it, noise is not a problem for me. Honda recommends that the anti-ventilation plate be 5.9 inches below the surface. I believe that is for optimum quietness. If it is too high you will get ventilation or some folks call it cavitation. That is when the prop literally sucks the water down from the surface in a vortex and leaves a void of nothing but air. Then you get a lot of noise and loss of thrust. This is a major issue with water cooled motors, because the water inlet can be left high and dry. The 2HP Honda is air cooled as you know.
If you have questions let me know. I am happy to help!
chris...

Chris,
Thanks a TON for your help. I see now that I don't need a long 12" mount, this would only add unnecessary pressure to the transom. I like the wide stance of your stationary mount too.
Now I only wish for some comfort that this could work for my old boat with a transom that is not internally reinforced. I wonder if bolting some oak pieces of wood on either side will suffice.
Thanks again, if you ever wind up in Atlanta give me a shout and drinks will be on me... this goes for anyone else that can give me info about mounting a motor on a mod1!

PS. I can't believe how clean your boat and garage are. Good work!
-Chris Davia

We installed the same motor mount in the above photos but flipped the brackets so they bolted towards the center, not outer edge of the transom. This made it easier to mount farther to the side, out of the way of the rudder.
l_ _l not this- _l l_
---------
transom

The outer bolts would need to be inside the seat otherwise or the mount would need to be closer to the center. I have a 3.5 hp Tohatsu (way too much power!) and don't think it will cause any problems with the transom. My hull is #1267 but is solid on the port side. I do notice that the propeller is dragging in the water slightly if I'm not careful about staying forward while under sail. I would suggest mounting it as high as possible on the transom for that reason. I have a long shaft model and the short shaft units might not do that. Good luck!

Paul

cjdavia said:
The more I learn, the more confusing this project becomes. First the good news: I called Catalina Direct and they do sell a mounting bracket for the 14.2, just like Chris mentionned. They haven't sold one in over 10 years but they do have one in stock. According to the sales rep., the bracket sets the motor about 10-12 inches behind the transom, just like the adjustable bracket I purchased last night.
Now the not-so-good news: My catalina is one of the first off the production line (sail number 253), and it does not have any reinforcement on either side of the transom. It is hollow on both sides.
Clamping the motor over the top of the transom seems ok to me, but now I am thinking that installing a 29 lb motor 10-12 inches behind the transom is going to cause too much stress where the mounting bolts go through the transom. I am wondering if reinforcing the bracket with wood on either side of the transom will provide enough strength. I wish I had an answer for this before I start drilling holes through my baby.
Does anyone have an ideas for me? :confused:

Thanks so much, I need a beer!
-Chris Davia

Wow Chris! You just continue to run into challenges! I did a little research over on the C-25 forum a while back on reinforcing transoms. My old C-25's transom tended to "oil can" or flex. It never gave me a real problem and I sold it before I had a chance to pull it out of the water and fix it. The suggestion I found on the C-25 forum was to use 1/2" Starboard. Starboard is the white plastic-like lumber that works with wood working tools. Its available at West Marine. Laminate a piece where you intend to mount the motor on either the inside or outside of your transom (or both, perhaps) and cement it with 3-M #4200 adhesive or LifeCaulk. I would cover the transom well beyond where you plan to install the bolts and spread the adhesive completely over the surface of the Starboard to help prevent any possibility of crushing your hollow transom. Clamp it snugly while the adhesive is drying. No more than the motor weighs, that should do the trick. I'm sure there are other ideas out there, but that's what I'd do.
Now....go have that beer!!!

Trolling motor blues

You folks have good advice. I just bought a Garelick Stationary Outboard motor bracket for my little Minn Kota trolling motor because iit gets fouled with the traveler when mounted on the transom. Garelick recommends a backing board if the transom is less than 2 inches thick. Of course that assumes a heavy outboard motor.

Now the bad news. With the trolling motor you definitely still steer with the rudder. Therefore the motor has to go to the outside to clear. The Garelick brackets are too big for the lower bolts to come in above the seat so it's back to West Marine to return this birthday present. Guess I"ll have to be less lazy and lift the electric motor off the floor when I decide to use it and rig the oak protectors as described in the FAQ of this site. any other ideas??

My final comment is that I like using the troller. It keeps my time on the lake (Columbus, Ohio) quiet.

Craig Foster

Stationary motor bracket

Cfos,

I'm having a same problem with my adjustable bracket - the mounting holes will require me to somehow install the lower bolts under the seat.

To fix this I am thinking about mounting the motor bracket to an oversized piece of stainless steel (or wood). Then I'd drill custom mounting holes in the steel to allow me to bolt it down in a location that does not interfere with the seat.

Unfortunately I think my adjustable bracket is too heavy and long for my transom so I am thinking of doing this with a stationary Garelick bracket like the one you have.

I am wondering if we will have the same problem with the factory mount from catalina direct. Chris Reyher, does it look like the lower mounting bolts of your bracket come in above the seat?

-Chris

Factory Mount

Here's a photo of the bolts shown from forward of the transom:

Photo is not showing up.... This forum data base is soooo unstable this morning. I think the server it resides on needs some help....

Anyway, the lower bolts are above the level of the seat.

Attachments

• Motor Mount.JPG
    Motor Mount.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,319
A Homemade Idea

Thank you for the replies. Your mount is definitely different than the Garelick. Those brackets are least 6 inches between the holes. I'm goiung to try and attach a concept drawing of what I mioght do with oak or another appropriate wood. The Minn Kota is so light, This should be strong enough. I'm not sure about an outboard.
I'm getting some advice from my brothers who are boaters and know woodworking better.

This is my first attempt to attach here, so pardon any errors.

Craig

Attachments

• Motor Mount.jpeg
    Motor Mount.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,213
Here's an Idea!

Chris and Craig!
If you are concerned about accessing the lower portside mounting bolt, have you thought about using a 4" Screw-In Deck Plate? They are ABS plastic and come in white or black in 4,6 and 8 inch diameters. Place it in the side of the seat near the transom. This would allow you to get your hand and a wrench inside the seat to access the bolt. Add a deck plate storage bag to it and you will have a nifty, waterproof and secure place to put your keys, phone, GPS, wallet, etc. They are shown on page 567 of the 2005 West Marine Master Catalog or you may be able to see it at their website. The part numbers are: Deck Plate -103598, Storage Bag - 6848956. I have installed one, sans bag, in my old Catalina 25 (to access upper gudgeon bolts) and it was very easy to install. Be sure to use a Silicone sealant. I have seen them used as a stash on kayaks as well. Bullet proof! :cool:

Homemade mounting bracket

Cfos,

I like what you are thinking, and I have been thinking about something similar. However, since my transom is hollow, instead of bolting the back mounting plate directly to the transom I was thinking that we could build the mounting plate all the way up the transom, horizontally across the top of the transom, and then down the inside of the transom. We could install adjustable/sliding brackets between the horizontal top part and the inside vertical part secured with wing nuts so the inside piece clamps securely on the transom.

On a different theme, I am also thinking about taking Chris' advice and installing that deck plate in the aft part of the seat. A 4" circle may give me just enough room to squeeze some reinforcing wood inside the transom allowing me to bolt on my bracket. Fun stuff. I wish I could stop thinking about this and just get to the water!

-Chris

4" deck plate

Chris R,

I am seriously considering the deck plate. It will help me reinforce the area inside the transom and get at the mounting bolts, but I have a question: do you know if the deck plates are a little plyable?

The area I wish to mount it -- vertically under the seat by the transom -- is not perfectly flat. Unfortunately it is slightly curved (about 1/8-3/16 inch). Have you experienced this type of installation in the past and do you think I can pull it off?

Thanks,
Chris

That's a tough one!

Yes it's a bit pliable alright, BUT, since the cover screws into the ring that is mounted on the surface, it's not going to go in without a real struggle if it goes in at all. There is an "O" ring seal recessed in the ABS ring itself that needs to be considered as well.

There is a model that has a "pry off" cover that might work, however it would not be as secure, IMHO.

You might try to get your hands on one to test the flexibility. Those on kayaks (although not exactly the same but very flexible) pry off and they are water proof. If you are aware of any Kayak accessory dealers in your area, you might give them a call. Heck, you can probably find one on the internet!

Another option would be to find some material that would serve as a thick gasket that would absorb the uneven surface, leaving the deck plate ring flat. Silicone sealant might work.

There is the right way, and then my way

Well, I spoke with a couple of fiberglass repairmen, and they pretty much agree that the 'right' way to get my outboard mounted is to cut open the transom, reinforce the inside of transom with marine plywood, fiberglassed in place with cloth and a thick epoxy/glass mixture. Then patch it back up, seal it, and repaint it... Total cost: around 600$. This hurts, especially when I only payed $1K for the boat and trailer.

So I've made the executive decision to mount this thing as best I can without cutting open the transom. If the fiberglass happens to crack sometime in the future, then I'll go ahead and do the extensive transom work. So here is what I am proposing to do:

Custom cut, stain/seal, adhere, and caulk 3/4" marine plywood to both sides of the transom. Make these pieces as long as possible to distribute the weight.

Drill 2 new holes for the lower mounting bolts in my garelick adjustable stationary mounting bracket (#71075), about 2 inches higher than the existing ones. I'll use these instead of the bottom 2 holes, allowing me to bolt the bracket right through the reinforced transom without needing to cut an access hole under the seat. I hope that since the bracket is strong enough to support a heavy 15HP motor -- and my motor is only 2HP, I can get away with moving those lower mounting bolts up 2 inches without causing any trouble.

So now my worry is that the entire 30 pounds of the motor is being supported by 2 pieces of fiberglass, sandwiched between 2 pieces of plywood. I don't think this is as secure as clamping the motor over the top of the transom......

Here is where I had a pretty good brainfart -- If I could attach a strap or piece of flexible aluminum to both sides of the upper mounting bolts, across the top of the transom, then some of the motor's weight could be distributed to the top of the transom, similar to what was happenning when I hang the motor over the transom and secure it using c-brackets.

This seems a bit hokey but the straps will allow some of the weight to hang over the top of the transom while still being supported by the mounting bolts, bolted through the transom.

Do you think this could work and what could I potentially use for those hanging straps?

-Chris

I get it!

Chris,
I said "well, duh" to myself when you mention making new holes in the bracket. Since I am for below the design weight as well, I do not forsee a problem. I did check and my Mod I is hollow, at least it seems that way.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Craig

Partially hang the bracket?

Craig,

Since your transom is also hollow, what do you think about devising some way to partially hang our mount over the top of the transom?

My fiberglass is very springy like an oil can on both sides of the hollow transom where the bracket would go, so I am concerned that the sides of the transom will not be able to hold the weight of the motor.

It seems to me that the top of the transom is more solid and can bear more weight. When I clamped the motor down on the top of the transom it seemed pretty secure (but of course it gets in the way of the traveler).

Maybe figuring out a way to bolt the bracket through the transom AND hang the bracket over the top of transom would be best. What do you think? Let's keep communicating and see what we come up with!

-Chris

Transom Woes

Chris,
My brother has a 27 ft Hunter and is quite experience with fiberglass, etc. I will be meeting him, my other brother and Dad on Lake Erie tomorrow for 5 days of cruiser sailing. My Dad was a plastics engineer and a Sunfish and Butterfly racer in his day. I plan to get their advice on this whole subject and will tell you what they think after i refturn.

Craig

Thanks!

Hi Craig,

Thanks a ton for asking around, I could use as much advice as possible.

I just remembered that you have an electric motor, so you don't even need to worry about issues like the weight of the motor.... Thanks again and have fun sailing!

-Chris

Factory Motor Mount

Finally remembered to take my camera to the lake. This is how we mounted the "factory" motor mount. Notice that we flipped the brackets inward so we could put the motor further away from the rudder. Up or down the motor doesn't interfere with the traveler. I don't see any problems with the brackets facing inward. Hope you find this useful. I've never loaded photos like this.

Paul

Pics not there

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help, your idea of placing the mounting bolts to the inside of the bracket sounds great. Unfortunately the pictures did not make it to your posting. Would you mind emailing them to: [email protected]?

Since it is going to take 6-8 weeks to get a new factory mount from catalina direct, I decided to buy the generic one that Garelick produces. I think the mounting bracket on the Garelick is not as wide as the factory mount, so I think it will not interfere with the tiller.... but any pictures you could send me could really help me out.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Chris

Reinforced transom works!

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this project. It was very scary drilling holes in my first boat, but everything worked out better than I expected.

I tested it over the weekend - the motor sits out of the way of the traveller and my hollow transom did not budge! Before this project, the weight of the motor would make both sides of the transom spring in and out like an oil can.

The solution I chose was:
1) Custom cut, sand, stain, varnish, and adhere 3/4" marine plywood to either side of the transom. I decided to miter the edges so water would have a better chance of dripping off the plywood
2) Drill 2 new custom mounting holes in the Garelick mounting bracket, allowing the bolts to live above the port seat

For those of you that are interested, here are some pics -- I must admit that I am HORRIBLE at caulking, but I guess all is well that ends well.

Thanks again to everyone!
-Chris Davia

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 365
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 331
Great Job!

That looks great, Chris! You should have been a ship builder. :D
It just shows that with a little research and careful thought
a guy can ususally overcome obsticles very nicely. Congratulations!
P.S. Aren't thoses little Honda 2hps super!

Honda motor

Thanks for your compliments - I definately had fun obsessing over something other than work!

It is funny that you asked about the motor, I just dropped it off at the shop for servicing. I'm not a happy camper right now.

I purchased it one month ago, and since picking it up from the dealer, I've only used it twice -- about 15 mins each time. I did not have a good experience either time. For some reason it leaks quite a bit of oil from the back underside of the case, and after running at 70% throttle for about 15 mins it starts winding down, almost like it is running really rich and about to stall, and then a large, smelly, dark cloud of exhaust fume emits around the top of the motor! I lowered the throttle to get back to shore, and when I pulled my motor out of the water, I noticed a lot of dark, chalky soot around all of the ports.

According to the dealer it is possible that they put too much oil in it, but I don't buy that excuse -- I can see an air bubble way up towards the top of the gauge, I think the oil level is fine. The dealer thinks that I am transporting it improperly, but I am lying it down on the side that has the extra rubber, just like the manual suggests.

I've never had an outboard before, so maybe I am over-reacting and maybe I should just wait for it to break in, but I feel like the longer I sit on this the harder it will be to assure them that this is not something I caused.

I know that Honda makes a really good engine -- this outboard makes us a 4-honda family (two cars, outboard, and a lawnmower) and I'm sure it will work out well, -- before it starts choking it is really great, but I can't help but feel a bit pissed off, the thing cost more than my boat and trailer!

-Chris

I Think Your Dealer is Incompetent, but Right!

Hey Chris! Sorry you are having problems with the OB. Your quote: "According to the dealer it is possible that they put too much oil in it, but I don't buy that excuse -- I can see an air bubble way up towards the top of the gauge, I think the oil level is fine.'
If you look on page 16 of the owners manual it shows the minimum and maximum levels in the sight glass. If there is just an air bubble way up towards the top, it is definately over filled causing oil to get in the cylinder (not condusive to optimum combustion). Not a a big problem to fix though. There is a drain plug just below the sight glass.
I can't believe that your Honda dealer was not more careful. Don't let him charge you for correcting his mistake!

You are right

Holy Moly!

You are right! it looks like the dealer put way too much oil in there. I wonder if too much oil could cause those black discharge spots around the ports. I am interested in the dealer's diagnosis, now that my Honda in their hands...

Thanks a ton,
-Chris

I'm trying really hard NOT to have a mental picture of that!

Ha! I'll bet you had oil, soot, smoke and flame coming out of EVERY orifice after that little faux pas! Uh... not you personally Chris. I'm speaking of the Honda! :D
Let us know what the dealer says.

Nothing wrong

According to the dealer nothing is wrong with the motor and it did not leak any oil for them. It is strange that the oil level is now magically in the 'normal' range and there are oil drips under the drain screw.

I can't wait for the rain to subside in Atlanta so I can take her out again and see if the problem continues!

Thanks for your help
Chris

How Funny!

Oh well, maybe the dealer has learned not to overfill the crankcase in the future. I think you will be very pleased with the Honda 2hp now!
Best regards and send some of that rain to North East Texas. The lake levels are getting low around here!
chris...

An idea too late

Chris,
I did get some good advice when I was on my Lake Erie sailing trip but I see that you have done a great job from your pics. The suggestion my brother had was to install a bushing through the hollow transom and into the backing plate. I think I will change the holes on the Garelick mount like you did and use this method. Now I just need to find some marine lumber in Columbus Ohio!

Peace,
Craig

Oops

I forgot to mention I haven't replied because I got home to a smoked power supply on my computeer. Warranty parts have been received and installed.

C

Hmmm

Craig,

Thanks for the input and what a bummer about your computer. I tried to wait for you but I was dying to get into this project.

Bushings that run through the fiberglass, but are bound by both pieces of plywood sound like very a good idea. I was also toying with the idea of using toggle bolts, but the marine plywood, glued and screwed, turned out much stronger than I imagined. It should be more than adequate for your lighter electric trolling motor.

Just some thoughts for you as you start your project:

Before you drill into the boat, make certain that the tiller does not interfere with your prop. Get a helper to swing the tiller around while you position the bracket.

I wish I knew ahead of time that the plywood would do a good job of reinforcement. If I were to do it again I'd flip the mounting brackets around so the bolts are closer together, just like Paul suggested in an eariler thread. At the time I was thinking that 'wider was better' for my installation. The lower bolt, in the corner by the side of the boat, seemed like it was set far enough from the side of the boat at first, but the curved plexiglass made it wind up very close to the edge of my plywood.

Be patient, there were no straight lines on my boat. An orbital or belt sander is going to be your best friend.

Don't tighten the nuts too much. Hand-tight plus 1/2-3/4 turn should do the trick.

Good luck finding that marine plywood, it is pricey stuff!

Chris

Back