Please help identify...!

Eatwell

IMG-20190402-WA0001.jpeg

Hello, I was given this little boat a few days ago by a very generous couple. It needs a bit of work and I know zero about sailing.....I think the first step is to ask for help..
Please can you help to identify this little guy? It's 4.1m (about 13.5ft)
The dates on some of the club tags are from the early 80's

I would like to restore the boat and need to know what little pullies and cables go where. Is there a a guide to the rigging on these older boats?

Thanking you in advance!

Ryan

Off the bat I don't know, but take a look at the back (stern); on the right-hand side there might be a code that will be informative.

While its not a Laser (at least not anymore) :), there are lots of similarities so you have done well to ask here. I'd suggest that you use a Laser rigging guide as a starting point.

https://foghmarine.com/laser.pdf

There are many other guides - some are YouTube videos. These guides will at least help you to understand how the various parts go together and how the controls are intended to work. Please check back here with questions, which I'm sure you will have as you progress. Bon voyage!

Thanks, that link sure helped alot to wrap my head around what I have here. What did you mean "at least not anymore"? Do you think perhaps it used to be one and got chopped up a little?

No idea beyond Laser-inspired and South African. If the very generous couple doesn't know, then it's best to contact a local sailing club, such as RNYC or PYC.

Any written/drawn Laser guides take you only so far. You should get someone knowledgeable to look at your boat to suggest what you should do with it. For instance, it looks like it has centre sheeting, and is missing many parts. You can post more detailed pictures here, but there's no substitute for hands-on assistance.

(And no, that boat has never been a Laser.)

_

Eatwell, I was just kidding because it looks like a Laser that had its aft section chopped off and replaced with an open transom. That's not the case since I think I see a chine in the hull and there are several other features that differ.

Can we assume that the first photo was taken by you recently and the second was older and provided by those who gave you the boat?

There's a sailmaker's label on the sail. Contact them; hopefully they are still around.

BTW, it looks like the boat might be tippier than a Laser, but that will depend on the size of the sail as well.

Tippier! Haha oh my gosh...sounds like a learning curve! So best to stay out of the harbour and rather on a dam for the first few trips!

Eatwell, I was just kidding because it looks like a Laser that had its aft section chopped off and replaced with an open transom. That's not the case since I think I see a chine in the hull and there are several other features that differ.

Can we assume that the first photo was taken by you recently and the second was older and provided by those who gave you the boat?
Both pictures were taken by me..the first one as I offloaded it and the second one just after I "assembled" it to see what it looked like.

No idea beyond Laser-inspired and South African. If the very generous couple doesn't know, then it's best to contact a local sailing club, such as RNYC or PYC.

Any written/drawn Laser guides take you only so far. You should get someone knowledgeable to look at your boat to suggest what you should do with it. For instance, it looks like it has centre sheeting, and is missing many parts. You can post more detailed pictures here, but there's no substitute for hands-on assistance.

(And no, that boat has never been a Laser.)

_
Thank you! I will try to get the boat to someone to see it and have a look for me.
Thank you to everyone who responded! You've all been a great help!

Back