Planing

If you have sufficient wind, pumping the sail (pulling in the sheet about 16") and/or throwing your body weight out to windward more (causing the boat to heel less in a hurry) can help. If there are waves that are from anywhere aft of abeam, doing either of those as a wave passes under the boat can get you surfing. WARNING: This can result in habit-forming adrenaline rush :D

Lightweights have it easier, obviously. Moving your body back and keeping the boat flat will facilitate planing.

As others have said, you need enough wind, the right sail trim, and the boat needs to be flat.

Or the boat will plane on a wave that's big enough even without wind (surfing).

I'm not even sure how to tell you're planing. :confused:

I thought I've been regularly getting it planing. The bow would be out of the water and the wake from the hull would start about where the coaming is.
But the other day, holy hell were we moving. It felt like we were just skipping across the waves.:eek:

I'm not even sure how to tell you're planing. :confused:

I thought I've been regularly getting it planing. The bow would be out of the water and the wake from the hull would start about where the coaming is.
But the other day, holy hell were we moving. It felt like we were just skipping across the waves.:eek:

Yes, you were in planing in the fourth dimension :D.

Back